I am new here and need some help :(

honestlinzel
on 2/26/13 8:37 am - CA

Hey guys, I am new to the forums so this is my first post! YAY!.

I wi**** could be for a better reason. My surgery is scheduled for March 11, 2013. That is 13 days from today. I have lost 20lbs so far and met every requirement asked of me. I talked with my insurance many times and they could not tell me how much they would cover just that they would cover some.

Well today 13 days before surgery (after MONTHS of dealing with the doctor and hospital) the hospital calls me and tells me that I may need to come up with up to 27k UP FRONT in the next 13 days for me to have surgery. Because they dont know what my insurance will cover. Even if my insurance only covers 10%, I will need to come up with something first. They don't know WHEN they will be able to tell me how much.

I am just at a loss here. I have already booked and airline ticket for my mother to come to CA from Ny for my surgery, I have been working so hard for this... then all the sudden less than 2 weeks before they tell me this?

I just don't know what to do. I don't own a home to mortgage (I would if I could) and I have no money saved.

I don't have good credit, so loans are probably not an option. Does anyone else know of financial help? :( :(

I am heartbroken.

_Islander_
on 2/26/13 11:06 am
RNY on 03/11/13

That's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I too have been sweating it out cause I'm on SSDI and was afraid I was gonna lose my insurance before I had surgery. Lucky for me the government moves at a snail's pace .. I wish I had an answer for you. Praying that everything works out for you.

honestlinzel
on 2/26/13 11:20 am - CA

Thank you. I am trying to stay positive but it is really hard. I was feeling so happy and excited, and now I don't know how to feel.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

netnay
on 2/26/13 11:52 am
RNY on 03/27/13

Do you mind me asking who your insurance is through? maybe someone has the same insurance as you on this forum and could help you out better. I too am on SSDI and my Medicare is through bcbs. I'm sorry. I know it hard to get your hopes up only for this to happen.

honestlinzel
on 2/26/13 12:01 pm - CA

It is called Reliance Standard. It is a life insurance company that also offers Health Insurance.

netnay
on 2/26/13 3:12 pm
RNY on 03/27/13

Have you talked to the hospital about making a payment plan? They maybe able to help you. and if you have difficulty paying afterwards, contact their billing department and ask them for financial help. Sometimes the hospital will find grants or financial assistance to help you out with your bill.

honestlinzel
on 2/26/13 3:14 pm - CA

That is my next step. I am going to do whatever it takes to get this to happen. It must happen. It will change and save my life.

Kaoz789
on 2/26/13 3:30 pm

Your insurance has to have documented coverages or you can't have a contract. They should be able to tell you what % of every step of your procedure, the office visits, the surgery, the meds, the hospital stay. If they can't tell you or the surgeon even your stated benefits you need to report them.

www.insurance.ca.gov

[email protected]

800.927.4357 (in state)

213.897.8921 (out of state)

JaneJetson60
on 2/26/13 6:08 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Please listen to Kaoz789!  You have to get right on this.  You need to be pro-active and should have made you sure you had a copy of your insurance coverage in the first place so you would know right from the get go what is covered, what is not and how much percentage wise.  You may have to postpone the surgery until you can come up with the money.    Sorry this had to happen but we have to be our own advocate in this world to make sure we are getting the information first hand.  I wish you luck.  Jane

ToNewBeginnings
on 2/26/13 9:50 pm

Agree 100%