Depression Meds

Tracy91002
on 3/2/13 3:25 am
RNY on 01/17/13

I have been taking Meds for depression for years now.  I had rny on 1/17, just wondering since they are controlled release, if they are as effective.  I see surgeon on Monday, but wanted your thoughts.  I haven't been "depressed" as much as easily agitated.  Thanks in advance.

poet_kelly
on 3/2/13 3:29 am - OH

They are not as effective, because they are meant to be absorbed over a 24 hour period (at least, most extended release meds are, some may be designed to be absorbed faster or slower).  Since you have no pyloric valve, they hit your small intestine faster than in "normal" folks, and since part of your small intestine has been bypassed, they get through your system in less than 24 hours.  That means you'll only absorb some of the meds, not all of them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tracy91002
on 3/2/13 5:27 am
RNY on 01/17/13

Thanks Kelly.  I'm certainly hoping there is an alternative for me.

Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 3/2/13 7:14 am - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

I was taking the extended release type and just saw my therapist.  She changed me to taking 4 pills throughout the day so that the medication would stay level in me.  So far, it's been working great!  Best wishes!!

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

poet_kelly
on 3/2/13 7:37 am - OH

Many antidepressants come in non-extended release forms.  I take Effexor that is not extended release

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/2/13 9:35 am
RNY on 01/10/12

My psych switched me to a non-XR version of Wellbutrin, which I now take 3 times a day instead of once. My Prozac is non-XR but once a day.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Tracy91002
on 3/2/13 11:01 pm
RNY on 01/17/13

Thanks everyone.  I feel more prepared to see my doc tomorrow

Most Active
Recent Topics