Weight gain

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/4/13 1:48 am

How can I gain weight by only drinking coffee, herbal tea and water? I gained around 30 lbs. quickly wanted to lose it but cannot even by not eating. WHY?

cajungirl
on 3/4/13 1:59 am

I'm confused.  You gained 30 lbs?  Are you pre-op or post-op?  Why are you doing coffee, tea and water only? 

Please give us some more information and maybe we can offer help.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/4/13 4:12 am

Post op. I am trying to go back to liquids to jump start weight loss but having no success.

poet_kelly
on 3/4/13 2:24 am - OH

Why are you only drinking coffee, herbal tea and water?

Eventually you would lose weight doing that, but you'd also lose  muscle mass and develop nutritional deficiencies and risk damage to your heart.  It's certainly not a healthy way to lose weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

anewbeginning2012
on 3/4/13 2:44 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I seen where you are 2 1/2 years post op. I am curious on why you can only have coffee, herbal tea, and water?? That is not the plan we are to follow... please give us some insight on what's really going on with your diet. That way maybe some of  us can chime in and help you get back on track.

Kris        
obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/4/13 4:14 am

Trying to jump start weight loss with only liquids in case eating too much since I still do not know what full feels like.

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/4/13 3:12 am

I am trying to reboost my metabolism., get a hold of my eating, whatever may have caused my weight gain a few years after rny wls. Thanks. 

Laura in Texas
on 3/4/13 3:22 am

If you are trying to boost your metabolism, not eating will make it worse. My recommendations would be to track every bite that goes into your mouth (weighing and measuring everything), limit your calories to 1000-1200, get 80-100 grams of protein, and limit your carbs. And increase your exercise.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Neen L.
on 3/4/13 3:29 am - Arlington, VA

If you want to get back to losing weight, these are the steps I often suggest to people who are past the "honeymoon" period. I had some re-gain in the first few years after surgery, but this managed to get me back on track and help me lose the last 30-35 lbs I wanted to shed.

This is what worked for me, so please consider it in the context of your own limits and expectations:

-Eat whole foods and avoid things that have been heavily processed (i.e. bagged sandwich breads, frozen foods--too much sodium and preservatives, and boxed mixes.) The cleaner and more local foods you eat, the better satiated your body will be. Make friends with some of your local farmers and go to local markets if you have them.

-If you eat starches as I do, be sure that you are eating whole grain ones that have a high fiber content. These are more satiating and you will find that you crave a little bit less, and every little bit counts. If you are so inclined, learn to bake your own bread and have even more control over what is in it. High fiber will also aid your digestion, as will things like yogurt with live active cultures.

-Pick one day a week to make meals ahead of time. The worst problem I encounter is when I don't have options for meals and make quick, not ideal choices. I usually slow cook something, make some noodles, soup, and a cold salad and keep those in the fridge or freezer for easy access to pre-portioned meals.

-Exercise! If you're already exercising, try increasing the length or doing something different. I found that my body gets used to a certain kind of exercise if I do it for awhile and I'd end up stalling my progress. Now I alternate yoga, running, being on the elliptical, and some strength training for maximum benefit.

-Remember the basics: Protein first, veggies second, starches third. If my plate were to be divided into four quadrants, two would be taken up by protein, one by veggies, and one by a healthy whole grain like brown rice, bulgur, quinoa, whole grain noodles, or homemade bread. The starch only gets eaten once I get enough protein at the meal.

-Be compassionate. Some days you will want a cookie. Eat a cookie and move forward. Don't take the time to beat yourself up, because all it will do is start a binge. Be kind to yourself.

You CAN lose weight. I promise it isn't impossible. Best of luck to you!!!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/4/13 4:16 am

Thanks