Getting All Your Fluids In

Megan S.
on 3/10/13 10:41 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I'm 4 days post op and I need some advice on how to get my water in and stay hydrated. I'm trying to drink 2oz or more every ten min. Any tips would be great...thanks!!!!!

rissa1224
on 3/10/13 10:45 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

For me, I just had a cup of decaf flav tea on hand, plus a bottle of water, mixed with a small amount of Vitamin Water ZERO (zero only) lemonade, to taste. Water made me gag for some reason. I just kept it in my hands most of the time during the day so I remembered to sip. Most of the week 1 I had tea every day. Flavoring helps!!

Kendra C.
on 3/10/13 10:58 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany

I agree I had a cup of some type of fluid with me everywhere I went in my house or out and about. I had to learn to make fluids my priority. Your soups, sf Popsicles and protein drinks all count as your fluids as well. 

angeleigh
on 3/10/13 10:59 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I bought 2 30oz water bottles. then marked them with a Sharpe, showing every hour I was awake. I made it a point to drink that much fluid every hour. http://pinterest.com/pin/70791025364994854/  I start off my day with a shake, so that is 14 oz, that is 7am by time I am done with it, then it works out to about 6 oz an hour. Of course I dont drink for 30 mins after I eat, but I still do the 6 ozs. Sometimes I would pour the water into another cup so i could mix with something else, like crystal light, or SF hot cocoa. But for me having my 60oz measured out made it easier to keep track of how much I was drinking. I would also add in unflavored protein powder to my SF hot cocoa and I added in fiber to all of it at the start of the day.

Room temp or warm fluids are easier from the first month or so for most people. Cold is hard on the pouch.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

KatBee
on 3/10/13 11:11 pm

I'm 1 week post op today & I feel your pain but trust me it gets easier w/ every passing day. just keep sipping. keep track of what your drinking via a tally sheet if you need. 1st thing every morning I fill up my 20 oz water bottle and no matter what else I'm drinking I keep in mind my goal is to drink 3 of them a day. I have not succeeded yet but I do better every day

Good Luck & remember YOU CAN DO THIS!

Sheezmasweetie
on 3/10/13 11:12 pm - Medicine Hat, Canada

Hi,

Congrats on your surgery.. angry I'm 7 days post-op and I find one way to break the monotony is to have broth- I look forward to warmth in my new tiny tummy because everything else I consume is cold - try warm fluids it helps! Good luck!

Angela_Italiana
on 3/10/13 11:35 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
I don't necessarily schedule myself on an hourly basis because I find that my pouches mood can change constantly. I seemed to have figured out a good schedule for me that allows me to get in all my liquid.

Morning: warm cup of broth, usually 3-5oz.. My pouch won't handle anything cold first thing. Then a 12oz shake with one scoop syntrax nectar.

Lunch: 12oz shake syntrax.

Dinner: 12 oz shake syntrax.

End of night: 2-5oz broth.

In between all this making sure I get in 24-32oz water.

Since surgery there has not been a minute during the day where you don't see one of these things in my hand. If you sip constantly, you'll be able to get them all. It took me a few days to be able to do it. I know it can be frustrating, but you can do it
SoCaPinkLady
on 3/11/13 12:21 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

There are several Apps for Android and IPhones that you can set repeating timers to remind you to take a drink of water. I know I get busy and forget to stop for a min to drink.

Lori                               

Megan S.
on 3/11/13 12:54 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Thank you for all the helpful hints !!!!!

apurdie
on 3/11/13 1:26 am - CA

Try SoBe!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views