Today's meal

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/11/13 10:36 pm

Breakfast: high protein shake 56.5 grams protein 365 calories.

Any one else want to share?

Jilly Bean
on 3/11/13 10:55 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

This is only my opinion, but that seems like a high calorie count to be drinking.  At this point, protein should be coming from lean foods.  There is a protein shake I drink when needed but it is 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories.  Drinking so many calories will really add up over the day.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/11/13 11:05 pm - Baltimore, MD

I respectfully disagree (on certain conditions). IF that's considered breakfast, 365 calories is not a bad breakfast especially when it has that much protein. Now whether or not that protein is needed and used effectively depends on the original poster's activity, health and metabolism.

But 365 calories is not unreasonable for a meal and if the next meal is spaced appropriately. My morning shake is 300 calories, 45g protein and I drink it at about 9 and then eat again around 1. You are assuming the OP isn't going to plan their day around those calories and that is sometimes an incorrect assumption. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

cajungirl
on 3/12/13 12:25 am

The OP is several years out.  For her and her ability to intake more food it's not a terrible choice although if she is trying to lose maybe a lower calorie should be considered.

As an example if her day consisted of 3 meals and 2 snacks and the average meals was 400 calorie, snacks 200 then she would be consuming 1800 calories per day, which is very doable for some post-ops.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/13 12:27 am - Baltimore, MD

You made a good point. It depends on the plan. When I do such high protein shakes there is no snack! If I were to do three a day there would be no snacks in between so my calorie count would probably be a bit LOW.

This is why I am not a fan of more than one protein shake a day. Eating food allows snacks and in snacks I tend to try to get in nutrients I might miss in a protein forward meal (fiber, vitamins/minerals, etc.).

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Pittsteelers
on 3/12/13 12:01 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
That's more then half my total intake for the day!!! What was the drink?? Something you made?? Will you share??

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/13 12:05 am - Baltimore, MD

I believe the original poster is a few years out. I'm five years out and that number didn't even raise an eyebrow frankly. In fact, 365 calories for breakfast is doing well in my world. I can go WAY higher if I so choose. Thankfully I do not often so choose.

poet_kelly
on 3/12/13 12:09 am - OH

You eat fewer than 730 calories per day?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 3/12/13 12:18 am, edited 3/12/13 12:23 am

1/2 c decaf coffee, 1/2 c 1% milk (out of skim) (65 cal. 4.5 protein, 2.5 g of fat, 5.5 carbs),  2 scoops of choc. whey protein (270 cal. 4g of fat, 52 g of protein, 15 g of carbs.) for breakfast. I am 2.5 yrs. out and trying to up my protein.  

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/13 12:20 am - Baltimore, MD

That answered my question. Yep, that sounds like a good balanced shake. Carry on!

How long does that keep you satisfied?