Stricture vs. non-tolerance of certain foods

katmom_02
on 3/14/13 9:32 pm - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

So, I had my first episode of food getting 'stuck' yesterday. I tried to eat the lemon pepper tuna directly from the pouch, but after two baby spoonfuls I knew damn well nothing else was going in and I was just going to have to sit and wait. It was uncomfortable, for sure, and everyone told me that it would happen eventually and that I would know, and I DID. There was no mistaking that feeling. After about an hour or so, I now know, for sure, that tuna requires mayo to be eaten (I have had that already). In the middle of the afternoon I had some cottage cheese, and it went down fine...HOWEVER, last night for dinner I tried to eat some of a scrambled egg with a little avocado on the side...because it's soft and I have had that meal already. Then THAT got stuck as well, but this time it was SO MUCH WORSE than it was at lunch. My chest hurt SO bad, and I just KNEW that this is what people must be talking about when the mention chest pain with food getting stuck. This time I actually had to go to the restroom and get the food back up (which was weird, but no unexpected). It was hard work to get that food out, dang. Afterwards I still felt a bit uncomfortable but overwhelmingly so anymore, then I did drink a bit of lemonade before I went to bed.

Was my pouch just angry and inflamed from lunch, so it couldn't handle dinner? Have I damaged myself, or could I have developed a stricture? I brought food (chicken, taco style moist from the crock-pot) for lunch today but have enormous amounts of trepidation about eating it, even though I have had it more than once already. Is this just a see what happens situation? When should I be concerned?

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/14/13 9:34 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I think it might be worth a call to your surgeon, especially if it's something you've eaten before with no problem. S/he'll be able to tell you if it's something to be concerned about. I doubt you've damaged anything, though.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

glad2balive
on 3/14/13 10:18 pm, edited 3/15/13 1:37 am

I agree with previous post and call your doctor for advice and let us know what s/he says. Hope everything goes well at lunch.  

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Megan K.
on 3/14/13 10:28 pm
RNY on 02/18/13

I would definitely call your doctor.  I am having similar experiences and spoke to mine, and he said although a stricture is not out of the realm of possibility, He backed me up on my food sources for a few days to see if it's an angry pouch--if that doesn't help I may need "further evaluation."

Lori P.
on 3/14/13 10:41 pm - Kenosha, WI

Sounds normal.  When I have a stuck food episode, by stomach is not right for a couple of days....sometimes longer...and I am almost 3 years out. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/13 11:02 pm
RNY on 04/18/12

When I was first beginning to eat non-pureed foods I was told by my surgeon's office that if I get something stuck and/or get the foamies to just have protein shakes for the rest of my meals for that day.  The liquid should go down, you still get the nourishment, and you don't aggravate the pouch more than it already is.  Now that I'm further out I don't get much stuck, but even if I do I don't necessarily have to stick to liquids for my next meal.

Calla Lily
on 3/14/13 11:33 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

Id say still call your doc just in case.... but that sounds exactly like my own experiences with food getting stuck, and then having a sensitive pouch some times for a few days there after where all I would dare to eat was soft mush! Even now, my pouch can still have "off" days, where I have upset it, and have to re-live that awful feeling but thank goodness it was far more rare now. It took me a good 6 months before I could tolerate more solid type foods, and I remember crying and telling my DR people on my forum seem to be able to eat so much better then i can, and he would say dont compare yourself to what they can eat. There is nothing wrong with your pouch, it just takes time to transition to solids... I felt like I would never see the day where the stuck food episodes would end!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Cindyagogo
on 3/14/13 11:37 pm
RNY on 02/21/12

i couldn't eat scrambled eggs at all for the first 3-4 months. They caused the most incredible pain. Same for chicken and tuna if they weren't "wet" enough. It is possible these things are too dry for you this soon out.  It isn't unusual for a food that is okay one time kills the next.

I have had strictures....it started with some food not staying down but liquids were okay...foamies and mild regurge. No pain but just a general feeling of not feeling well. It progressed to no food  and then no liquids staying down. Starting to feel shakey and faint from the lack of nutrition or fluids. 

definitely contact your surgeon. If it does turn out to be the beginning of a stricture, it is best not to wait or you will end up in the ER or hospital at the end of an IV of fluids.

Vdekker
on 3/15/13 6:48 am - Mt
RNY on 12/21/12

I am 12 weeks out today and I am having a EGD on Monday.  Your post reads like I could have written it.  My Dr. at first thought maybe it was just a fussy pouch, but after a month of the foamies and then coming back up he decided we better make sure that there was not a stricture.  I keep trying foods and one day I can eat them and the next I cannot--never anything consistent. 

I would suggest you call your Dr too.  Personally I know I will be glad when I know for sure what is going on and catch what ever it is early and hopefully avoid a hospital stay.

Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?