Slow release calcium advice

BeccaM76
on 3/15/13 2:10 pm

I bought some slow release calcium at the store today.  It's Citrical 1200mg slow release tablets.  Are these ok to take?  Will they be absorbed ok with my new gastric mix up?  I am having a HUGE problem getting calcium in because I have to take it seperatly from my multivitamin.  f

poet_kelly
on 3/15/13 2:14 pm - OH

Some of it is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb and which may also lead to kidney stones.  In addition, depending on how long it's supposed to take to be fully absorbed, it may not work for us because our small intestine is shorter than normal so it may not be in there long enough to be fully absorbed.

You CAN take calcium with your multi.  The issue is, if you have iron in your multi and take calcium at the same time, you will not absorb that iron.  I deal with that by taking iron separately, a few hours away from my last multi and calcium, before bed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BeccaM76
on 3/16/13 1:04 am

Thank you!!  I'll switch to my other calcium (calcium citrate) and take it with my multi.

Most Active
Recent Topics