Post-Op incision question

juliehawknz
on 3/16/13 11:41 am - WI

I met with my surgeon last week for the final appointment before surgery.  He told me that post-op he leaves the incision that he passes the stapler through open and then the wound gets packed and changed out daily until it heals.  I am just wondering if anyone else had to do this and what your experience was like.  I am a nurse so stuff like that doesn't bother me, however, I am wondering if it is in a spot I will be able to reach to do it myself?  He said it would be on the left side.  I was talking to my super-squeemish husband about it and telling him about how it wounds get packed etc and told him he may have to do it for me if I can see to do it.  He became about 20 shades of pale green just talking about it and said his knees felt weak...haha!  

Have any of you gone through this?  Have you been able to do your own wound care?

Thanks!

Eva1230
on 3/16/13 11:49 am
Mine didnt do that - that's way too much trouble IMO. I think laying down you may be okay to do it yourself.
There's a pic on my page of my incision sites to give you an idea of where it may be. The left side hurt worse then any other
MrsLitch
on 3/16/13 12:01 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Mine may as well have left it open it popped open anyway and I had to pack it for two weeks before he finally said let's go old school and use peroxide to dry it up and heal. I got a little divet scar there now but no biggies. Mine was easy to do myself. it was on the left of the belly button above it and lined up with my rib cage. It's funny because now it's way down on my belly where my belly button was lol.

My hubby did help me a couple of times but I packed it and just had him help tape it. You may offer to do that if you can I'm sure he can handle taping it for you lol

Men!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

meeshelle
on 3/16/13 11:15 pm
RNY on 03/04/13

i have an open incision the home health agency comes out to change daily i couldnt see the wound at first but as i look in the mirror i can and could probably change it myself but i dont want to tomorrow they are training my husband to do it. it has shrunk half its size already and doesnt hurt much at all anymore the more protein you take in will help heal them but i just couldnt :( but this way the agency doesnt have to come every day now they were going to show my husband in the hospital but i wasnt too keen on that lol early on was painful but i took my pain meds an hour before they would come out

i also came home with a JP drain and that got removed after 6 days on first dr visit

good luck

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/