Getting ready for surgery, did you start early?

Washu
on 3/21/13 12:35 am

I'm curious to hear from anyone who started their pre surgical diet earlier than the two weeks prior to surgery? I want my labs to be excellent when I see my PCP in a couple weeks for my final examination. Were you successful on your first few days of working this diet? Did you settle in easily? Mind over matter , right? :) 

Tracy91002
on 3/21/13 12:39 am
RNY on 01/17/13

I didn't start early.  Honestly, the first few days were hard, mainly I think because my body was withdrawing from caffeine and junk food.  I got headaches.  I admire your positive attitude.  After the headaches were gone, I did settle in easier.  It's definitely mind over matter.  Best of luck to you on this journey.  You can do it.

Washu
on 3/21/13 3:04 am
Thank you. Am on my second meal\ shake right now. Trying to keep my mind busy. I have to do this....I know I can.
NEWMI
on 3/21/13 12:43 am - SILVER SPRING, MD
RNY on 03/18/13

i just had my wls 3/18/13 an i was on my pre op diet for 1 month because my original date was 3/4/13 but my labs came back an said i was pregnant but in my mind i knew i wasnt so i had alot of labs to do but it ended up being a chemical pregnancy so i didnt stop my pre-op diet which helped because i got my new surgery date sooner insted of having to wait an additional 2 weeks. so yes it helped..

good luck see you on the losers bench!! 

Sherry T.
on 3/21/13 1:41 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I haven't seen you update, I know you posted when this first came about being pregnant, glad things worked out for you!!  

Take care! 

Sherry

Washu
on 3/21/13 3:07 am
That is fantastic, I am hoping my work now will only bring me closer to my 150 lb lighter self. I WILL do it!! I also just want to be ready for if there is an early opening for surgery.
Sherry T.
on 3/21/13 1:43 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I did not start early, wish I had even just cutting back, might have made the initial withdrawal from food and caffeine better but I managed by day 6 I think, I wasn't hungry anymore and was managing.  I really felt at that point, if someone told me I was taking the easy way out, I'd punch them in the nose...LOL not really but it was a struggle. 

Hang in there!  Good luck!!

Sherry

Washu
on 3/21/13 3:09 am
I can empathise with that frustration, this is far from easy. I also just dont want the start date looming over my head anymore giving me an excuse to eat something " one last time."
daisy142
on 3/21/13 4:25 am - TX

I have to do a 6 month medically supervised diet pre insurance and after a couple days of trying to eat right, I had a difficult time especially with breakfast.  So I went ahead and started doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, healthy snack light low fat cheese, SF jello, and then a healthy dinner, 4 - 6oz lean meat, steamed veggies no butter or salt, salad with lemon squeezed over it and a little shake of white wine vinegar, and lastly a snack of SF Jello or pudding or low fat cheese.  I know for me I just needed to go ahead and start to get into a good routein.

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

Washu
on 3/21/13 5:44 am

That sounds totally reasonable, I'm right in the middle of wanting to eat RIGHT NOW. I had my breakfast shake, I had my lunch shake at 1 pm and I'm needing to cook my family dinner now and want to eat. Its such a struggle. I want to only have my protein shakes today and be all liquid, it was one option or alternately they recommended a meal composition like what you said. I know I can do this. Logging in right now is distracting me. So this is good.