Cheated on preop diet today...

jessie06
on 3/25/13 5:52 am - Albuquerque, NM

Hello all,

I'm sort of freaking out.  My surgery is Wednesday and, after having been PERFECT on my preop 2 week liquid diet until now and losing 12 pounds, I cheated hugely today with a cheeseburger and fries.  I know how bad this is and I feel horrible (physically and emotionally), especially having come this far.   I don't know if this will endanger my surgery, especially being just 2 days away?  I do have a "lower" BMI at 39 and no known liver problems.  I will not cheat again but I don't know if I've blown it or if staying on all liquids and lots of water until my surgery will make it okay???

poet_kelly
on 3/25/13 5:59 am - OH

Most likely it will be fine.  Check with your surgeon to be sure, of course.

It's hard to make it through a two week liquid diet, especially pre op.  Don't beat yourself up for it.  Use it as a learning opportunity.  Think about why you cheated and how you'll deal with similar situations in the future.  Because there will be times in the future you find it hard to stick to your plan (even though your plan is not going to be all liquids for long).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ready2ChangeMe
on 3/25/13 6:00 am - Canada

I don't know how to answer this one...but I would say tell your doctor...

I had to do 14 days and the day I had to start I had a wedding and I drank alcohol and ate regular...but for the remaining 13 days I didn't even look at anything...lol....

You already feel horrible so I hope ppl don't condemn you for your mistake!

All the best!

netnay
on 3/25/13 6:08 am
RNY on 03/27/13

My surgery is also wednesday. I was not required to do a preop liquid diet, but I can only have clear liquids tomorrow. I also have to do a bowel cleanse. Do you have to do the bowel cleanse? If so i would say you would probably be ok. I have to drink the magnesium citrate which absolutely cleans you out. I am so not looking forward to that. Good luck on wednesday.

'View

poet_kelly
on 3/25/13 6:18 am - OH

The point of the liquid diet is to shrink the liver, which makes surgery easier/safer (at least it does if you have a fatty liver to begin with).  The bowel cleanse won't shrink your liver, it just empties your bowel (large intestine).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mysguided_angel
on 3/25/13 6:14 am, edited 3/25/13 6:14 am - Brampton, Canada

i understand what you are going through, dont beat yourself too much over it...learn from it as poet_kelly suggest it. i slightly cheated on my liquid phase too, i couldnt do the optifast so all i was on was the broth( i had about 4 bags of optifast for 2 weeks) so i added small pieces of herbs to the broth. the important thing about the diet was to promote ketosis (limiting carbs) in your system to shrink the liver and the side effect is the weight lose. if you want to know if your body is still in the ketosis state just buy for ketosis sticks at the drug store, walmart ketostix are only $9. pee on it to check if it is driving you crazy, it will give you some comfort over the next two day. good luck

chulbert
on 3/25/13 6:30 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It's not an issue.  The purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver and one real meal isn't going to change that.  Many surgeons don't even require the diet you're going through.

That said, you're at the point where you need to be "empty" inside so consider it your last meal.  Nothing but liquids (or clear liquids at the direction of your doctor) for the rest of the day and tomorrow, then your surgery is the following day.

Don't worry.

jessie06
on 3/25/13 6:40 am - Albuquerque, NM
Thank you everyone. It was definitely a last meal, and it has made me feel so bad physically and I have actually felt better on my liquid diet. I will stay on all liquids (actually my diet is just mostly liquid as I can have Greek yogurt and soup with anything in it so long as no cream bases).
Honestly, the "why" I did is bc I suddenly got super nervous about surgery and what this means. I'm worried about it affecting my relationship with my boyfriend (which is wonderful and he's been so supportive and we've talked at length about what the surgery means both in our own and in therapy). I was doing so well emotionally until today! It was right after the nurse called me with my or time.
Again, thank you. No matter the outcome I'm happy to have a place like
this to come to so I don't feel alone.
RainbowRN
on 3/25/13 3:48 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

DOn't beat yourself up.  I also cheated on my 2 week pre op diet.  I had chipotle  and it was amazing.  Sounds weird but I had to say goodbye to it temporarily.  I did fine the other days.  Actual surgery was okay. :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Jilly Bean
on 3/26/13 1:21 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I wouldn't say anything.  But that's just me.  Stay the course until Wednesday.  After that, cheeseburgers and fries will be a distant memory.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
Recent Topics