Getting through a family crisis pre-op.

VintageChick
on 4/7/13 12:12 pm
Surgery is 3 weeks from tomorrow. My dad was placed on a ventilator unexpectedly Wednesday. He's very ill with Haemophilus influenza. I have done nothing but eat the past 4 days. Eat. Eat. Eat.

Not sure how to cope with the liquid diet I am starting tomorrow when I've always used food as a comfort.

I can do this. I can do this! My dad supported my decision to have surgery. It's ironic that my relationship with him is likely one root of my food issues. He wasn't around when I was a kid and came back into my life when I was in my mid 20s, neither he nor my mother were fit to be parents; thank goodness for loving grandparents!

I have a counselor appointment set for one week prior to surgery to get help sorting out food related issues... I didn't expect something like this to hit before then.

Anyone care to share how you've personally dealt with a crisis while preparing for surgery? I need all the encouragement I can get.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/7/13 12:52 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I can't even imagine what you're going through. Hugs to you.

And yes, you can do this. Get a good water bottle and keep it filled at all times. Use that instead of food when you get hungry. Hot tea is great. Keeps your mouth busy, helps fill you up, and is comforting. 

Are you spending a lot of time at the hospital? 

Good job on getting a counselor appointment. Can you get one sooner? Maybe the social worker at the hospital can recommend someone for you to talk to in the meantime?

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

daisy142
on 4/7/13 1:44 pm - TX
You can do this!! Prayers for you and your dad!

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

MrsLitch
on 4/7/13 1:44 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I can't imagine going through what you are at this time. I'm sending you prayers for strength to guide you through this time.

I guess I'd try drinking water or protein when the need to feed comes about. You may want to find a book with inspirational quotes in it so when you get the urge you read one and gather strength from it?

Btw... You CAN do this!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

VintageChick
on 4/8/13 9:13 am
Thank you all!

The need to 'keep my mouth busy' is exactly the right way to put it!

The 'big city' hospital where he was taken is 2 hours from my home and being there didn't give me opportunity have all my ducks in a row to start today like i had intended. I think that's what scares me... I'm a perfectionist and if I can't do something well, I tend to not do it at all.

So far so good. I've kep****er handy as suggested, and had only protein today.
Most Active
Recent Topics