Frustrated is an understatement

misspeachpie
on 4/13/13 1:08 am - FL
I had RNY on 3/4/13 I have only lost 21lbs. I also lost 18 prior to surgery. For some reason I feel like I haven't lost enough weight. Am I doing something wrong? I'm so discouraged and disappointed. Sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated.
Angela_Italiana
on 4/13/13 1:16 am - CA
RNY on 03/04/13
You don't really give enough information here. Have you spoken or made an appointment with your surgeon? Try not to get frustrated, but I would highly suggest making an appt to see your doctor if you are feeling concerned.
chulbert
on 4/13/13 1:22 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

How fast really depends on how much you have to lose, sex, and a number of other factors.

Tammy S.
on 4/13/13 2:00 am - DE
How much did you expect to lose? So you had surgery about 5 weeks ago? So you are losing about 4lbs a week? Sounds good to me.... when have you ever lost that much before? I don't mean that in a nasty way. I am happy as long as i am losing. It's not going to fly off overnight. Sounds like you are doing great. Maybe your expectations are too high....

MrsLitch
on 4/13/13 2:13 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I was told that right after surgery I could expect to lose 3-5 pounds a week on average, that doesn't mean weekly I'd lose but if I averaged it out it would fall into that range. You are right in the middle of that range so you are right on target. I've seen other posts on here that say 20 pounds the first month, 10 pounds for month 2-6 and 5 pounds after that for the first year.

You are doing fantastic! I know when you are watching the scale you want to see it move, and move rapidly, but reality is we didn't put it on overnight and we won't lose it over night. You are doing great! Just stick to your plan and watch the numbers go down.

Go to the weight loss planner on this site at: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php and plug in your numbers and see where you fall. It isn't always accurate but it will give you an idea of loss and what to reasonably expect.

Hang in there!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Kat1313
on 4/13/13 2:35 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Also remember that they put a lot of IV fluids into you while you were in the hospital.  I was 10 lbs heavier the day I was discharged than on the morning of surgery.  I've been told this is very common and that the fluid weight does come off fairly quickly.  I've been struggling with the gain - I'm 6 days post op and about half of it is gone.  I was hoping for more, but am trying to take into account that this gain is temporary.

momof2boyz
on 4/13/13 3:03 am - TX

I had RNY on 3/19/13 and have lost 15 lbs. (lost 16.5 prior to surgery.) I, too, expected continuous loss, but the first 13 lbs. fell off in 10 days, the other two have taken much longer. I guess I'm scale-obsessed. Trying to not focus on the weight but on other things, like clothes getting looser, people commenting on my thinning face, etc.

I keep thinking I'll be the one person ever who never lost weight after the surgery...guess I've failed so many "diets" that I wonder if I'll fail this too. Does that make sense?

Most Active