I LEARNED THE HARD WAY

Margaret Smith
on 4/10/13 4:57 am - Lake Wales, FL

Be very carefuly out there this summer in the heat I learned the very hard way.On Easter Sunday why we where out camping at resort.Morning started off good and we had breakfast and I had reg jelly on bagel and had egg,bacon,usually thing when we camping then the kids got their basket's,I said ok who is going to be first to give Aunt Margaret a pc of chocolate candy,I got 2 tiny choclate rice crispy bunny's I ate them,then before egg hunt,I went potty(STMIF) then I grabed hby's strawhat took a drink of my sf lemonad, started up hill told dad to wait for me,then all at once I couldnt get my feet to touch ground,and I said out loud to myself,SOMETHING NOT RIGHT HERE! I took a couple steps then I asked dad what is that building then next I'M SCREAMING DAD HELP ME HELP ME,next thing I know I'm laying in middle of road then i sit up and sister yelled where do u hurt,I dont hurt I'm just shaking all over I was told to just sit there for a minute so I did then I remember bro-law taking my hand helping me up,then TWILIGHT ZONE-some how I'm in the grass under shade tree leaning against bro-law  ,had death grip on my 17 yrs old niece and all strange ppl around me,ppl running ard trying to help I think,got lucky there was a retired fireman who lived in trailer where I clasped  he asked could he take my blood sugar reading I said ya he tested it ,it was 69 and I'm still shaking like crazy and couldn't remember nothing from bro-law helping me out of street,someone gave me OJ,then retired fireman runs to his trailer and grabs sugar tablets and gave me one told me to chew it so it would work faster.ok did that when pharmedics got there he told them what he did,now they test blood it's 114,,,,then family tells them what happened seens I dont remember,ok now because I'm in so much pain now and because I hit road straight on my back,I'm placed on back broad,neck brace.                           

They have to force my grip from niece,bro-law and phermedic holds my hand now,get into aubalance I scream bec of IV in rest,and after a few mintues guy in back with me says good your heart rate is coming back down,I said I didnt know there was an issue with heart rate he said he didnt tell before is because he didnt wont to stress me any more then I already was, ok on way to hospital now.

I have full body ct scan,and xrays on back,pelvis,,,,,finely get med for pain,then omg the med they gave me to make me not get nauses'had reverse action,then they had rush and give me something else quick,what ever they gave me worked right away they said it was stronger then the first one.ok dr comes back nothing broken but very brusied and contunes,and disk buldge in lower back,

Dr put's me on crutches to help keep pressure off back and hip,

OK- now I ask dr what happened to me what caused  me to have 2 seizure's,was it my sugar?????

He said my sugar was fine that 69 was good,(WHAT) DR TELL'S ME AND MOM he has NO ideal what happened to me.

still on crutches and trying to get into to see dr but I have to make my share cost medicaid cover first,went to er yeasterday what a joke it was a different hospital they got records from 1st hospital and they went by them send me home without even seeing a dr so I guess I will have to go back to 1st hospital and get rechecked there so share cost is covered and hopefuly they will redo xrays of back,hip should that is still hurting pretty bad.

SO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUGAR IN SYSTEM,AND IF YOU FEEL OFF SIT DOWN SO YOU DONT HAVE SO FAR TO DROP WHEN YOU HAVE LOW SUGAR SEIZUER AND PASS OUT.

If this happens again I will sit right down where ever I am  you can bet on that.

Has this ever happened to anyone else??????? was a 1st for me.

Margaret------sorry so long !

MyLady Heidi
on 4/10/13 5:07 am

Sounds like dehydration to me, and yes it has happened before.  We dehydrate very easily and last 4th of July I had to leave the parade before I passed out it was so bad.  BS of 69 is still low, it will make you shaky but you shouldn't pass out from it, but the combo of the two things plus heat was probably what made it so bad.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Laura in Texas
on 4/10/13 5:24 am

When I was little, my late father had a similar situation from dehydration and low sodium.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Jilly Bean
on 4/10/13 5:30 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Huh?

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

noftessa0401
on 4/10/13 5:39 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

I agree that it was most likely dehydration.  A sugar level of 69 might be low for you, but it would not be low for me (and in fact, is not really considered low by the medical society, generally).  I'm glad that you had people around you when this happened, though!  Feel better soon!

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Eva1230
on 4/10/13 11:58 am
Sign of dehydration very high heart rate or very low. I've experienced HR of 175 post op and as low as 45(in which I was dizzy and had to sit)

Blood sugar of 68 isn't too bad usually as a nurse we worry if it drops below 40.
If you are having sugar issues maybe you should get a glucometer and test yourself
Work with a nurse who had bypass and now she is an extreme diabetic had to have her gall bladder removed. (Stories I have heard)
MrsLitch
on 4/10/13 1:07 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
You had reg jelly plus a bagel plus chocolate I don't think sugar was the issue although it could have been RH the sugar wasn't very low my blood sugar runs 72 daily after surgery ive had it go as low as 40 years ago and was still working just drank some oj.
You said it was hot I'd guess dehydration like other posters.
I don't know how far out you are can't see on my phone but you should see if hospital has staff that can discuss what you should be eating and what to do if this happens again. The treatment you recieved would have caused me to dump and feel even worse. Be careful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Margaret Smith
on 4/11/13 8:32 am - Lake Wales, FL

The hospital said I wasn't dehydrated-I have never had prbls with getting fluid,I am always drinking something all day long.I carry a mug ard with me every where I go and summer time I drink more fluid because of the heat,and someone asked how far I'm out I'm a little over 8 yrs out and just now having issues with sugar dropping,I am trying tog into the dr's office to see if she will run a full blood panel on me.