MGB to RNY Surgery Date

JulieIND
on 4/16/13 10:25 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Hello!  I am having a revision from MGB to RNY due to a stricture that won't go away and suspected bile reflux.  I have had endoscopic dilation six times with no success.  I can hardly eat and end up vomiting most nights because the food just won't go down.  I was at goal weight before all this started about eight months ago and am now about 15 pounds under goal weight.  It doesn't seem like a lot, but I was really, really happy where I was at before and now I feel too skinny.  I never in a million years thought I'd say I was too skinny!  LOL

It looks like the 24th will be my date!  It would be sooner, but they're making me go through a dietary class on the 22nd.  They said I will not be on the regular bypass post-op diet, but I can't imagine why I won't be seeing I'm pretty much having the surgery totally redone.  Oh, well.  We'll see what they say.

Anyways, I'm scared as heck.  I've never been this scared about a surgery before.  Any words of advice would be appreciated!  :)

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/17/13 12:21 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I am not sure what MGB stands for. Take a deep breath and ask lots of questions from your surgeons office for more clarification to your diet if needed. I had one mandatory dietary class and I really wish I would have had more. My surgeon does not require us to work with a NUT which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Good Luck!!!!

Lori                               

JulieIND
on 4/17/13 12:30 am - Indianapolis, IN

It's the mini gastric bypass.  The surgeon who originally did my surgery moved to another state and stopped doing WLS.  I had originally paid $17,000 cash for the surgery because insurance would not cover the procedure here.  Luckily they are covering the revision because I'm starting to lose weight rapidly from not eating.  They don't know exactly what's causing a stricture seven years later, so I guess he'll see what it looks like when he gets in there. 

As far as the classes go, I've been on a bariatric diet for the past seven years, so I don't know what they're going to tell me.  I've actually followed the guidelines since I've had the surgery, so it's still fresh in my mind what needs to be done.  The people in the class are probably going to look at me like, "What the heck are you doing here?"  LOL  I just think it'll be a waste of four hours that I could be working.  I'm self-employed, so if I don't work, I don't get paid and I'm already going to be having to take off several weeks for the surgery.  I just really want this to be over with!

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/14 12:01 pm, edited 3/15/14 12:02 pm

HI Julie,

Can you tell me how you made out with your revision surgery.  I had mgb surgery in February of 2008 with Dr. Peraglie.  I am now being converted to a RNY on the 28th of this month due to bile reflux. Can you give me any helpful advice?