Swallowing pills?

Brenda S.
on 4/23/13 5:53 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

The taste of crushing pills and taking them is horrendous!  I take my Biotin whole, and it's fine.  It's a very small softgel.  Do you think I could just cut my other, fairly small tablets in half and take them?  I'm 2 weeks out, but I haven't had any problems.  Thanks for your input!

Karen518
on 4/23/13 6:04 am

I know some people do swallow pills right away, but I would clear it with your doctor first.  If you had a hiatal hernia repaired like I did, or anything unusual going on, we would hate to advise you to do something that could be harmful.  I agree that crushed pills can taste awful.  If you feel comfortable swallowing your pills, call the surgeon's office and ask if it's okay.

poet_kelly
on 4/23/13 6:29 am - OH

Yes, probably.   The ASMBS says it's fine to swallow pills whole as soon as you can tolerate it.  I never crushed anything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 4/23/13 6:52 am - IN
sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 4/23/13 6:55 am - IN

I was swallowing pills in the hospital.  The only rule I was given was that anything bigger than an m&m's needed to be split in half first. In the beginning I think they had me waiting 10 mins between pills. That was annoying because it took forever. Now a can take a few of them at once without a problem. I drink plenty of water. 

~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
Brenda S.
on 4/23/13 7:01 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

Thank you all for your replies!

mussit64
on 4/23/13 9:29 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

Brenda, You are taking the Biotin already, I wanted to ask him I could go ahead and start that instead of waiting three months... I am losing my hair like crazy already prior to surgery,, Maybe I will ask on my appt on Friday 

Brenda S.
on 4/23/13 1:44 pm - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
Hey Andrea,

Honestly, I didn't ask about the biotin. I saw Mark and he said I was cleared to start all of my supplements, so I started ALL of my supplements. I'm not losing hair yet, but I'm hoping that starting it now will help in the longrun. Hope you're doing well!

Brenda

Sheila W.
on 4/23/13 10:05 am

I find it so interesting how different each doctor is with their advice.  I was told I could not swallow large pills until 1 year post op.  Now he ok'd my vit a, vit d, biotin size small gel pills, but calcium, multi vit etc not until 1 year.  So I use Centrum chewable which I dislike but chew fast and swallow faster with water.  I use upcal D for calcium and can't even taste it when it is with my yogurt.   Good luck!

Listen closely: the only time it's too late to change yourself is when you're dead. Until then, you're simply making excuses or lying to yourself. HW 350 SW 324  SD10/19/12

Souperwoman
on 4/23/13 1:11 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

I was swallowing pills in the hospital, actually.  Once i came home I tried all the chewables and HATED them so, after 2 weeks, I switched to all swallowed pills.  I went from one pill at a time, breaking them up, to taking most of them at once (for example, 3 citracal petites).  Bonus for me is that, for a little while, they fill up my tummy enough that I feel like I had a meal :D