How much iron can we absorb in one dose?

Karen1961
on 4/23/13 8:47 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Thanks, btw to poet_kelly *****sponded to my lab post a week or so ago and your advice about the supplements. I've been at a work conference so couldn't respond to your post...that um responded to my post!  Anyway...low ferritin, blah, blah, blah, and I need to take 3 doses of elemental iron daily.  I'm wondering if I can double the dose at one time, but can't find any earlier posts on this site about how large a dose we can take at once.  I've googled and all I see is referencing 85 mg.  I have 60's and am wondering if I can take two at a time and still absorb the whole dose, or is that a waste?  Thanks in advance!

poet_kelly
on 4/23/13 9:12 am - OH

I'm not aware of a limit.  If you need to take a large amount daily, I'd probably split it into two doses.  I would think you could take at least 100 mg at a time, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen1961
on 4/23/13 1:38 pm - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Thanks Kelly!  With the multi, the thyroid and the calcium i am trying to fit it into two doses otherwise i have to get up at 3 or stay up until 11!  

poet_kelly
on 4/23/13 9:37 pm - OH

Take your multi with your calcium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen1961
on 4/24/13 4:15 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Wow, I had no idea I could do that!  I thought that calcium had to be taken seperately from the MVI.  What a great thing, sorta eases up the pill schedule.  Thanks!