I FINALLY did it!

LittleRedAries
on 4/28/13 12:45 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Hey everyone - Yes, I finally had my surgery done on 4/24/13.  I'm 4 days post-op and not feeling TOO bad.  I'm already on Stage 2, but still finding it difficult to get down 3 8oz protein shakes a day.  I guess this is normal?  I, AM however, forcing myself to sip on water if nothing else.  Yesterday morning, I did get down one 8oz shake.  Today, about 1/2 of one.  Does it vary from day to day?  I'm hoping once the swelling inside and out goes down, it will get easier.  Personally, I thought it would hurt more than it did....its sort of uncomfortable, but not painful...lets hope it stays that way lol. Does anybody have any other suggestions to get a bit more protein in...the drinks seem to be a little too thick, and like I said, even though I can get SOME in, its not even close to what they say I should be having.  Thanks =)

NDHM
on 4/28/13 12:51 am
Talk to your Nut. Mine told me my goals but that I shouldn't expect to reach them the 1st couple of weeks.
Tiggybeep
on 4/28/13 12:59 am
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Congrats and welcome to the other side! :)  Only suggestion I have re: protein shakes is if you can get your hands on some Isopure zero carb protein drinks, those are water based, not milk based.  Some people love them, others less so.  They carry them at GNC.  I know they've made it way the heck easier to get in my protein since post-op.  Congrats again on making it through surgery, and I'm glad your pain level seems relatively low!  And yes, keep sip-sip-sipping away, getting fluid in is your #1 priority right now.

LadyLilMax
on 4/28/13 1:06 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Congrats and we look forward to hearing all about your journey!

Some people water down their shakes to get them in.  You might try freezing the shakes in an ice cube tray and eating them?  Or you can mix your protein powder with a little bit of warm water to mix it up and then add it to soups, broth, tea, decaf coffee?

Try SF popsicles!  They are my new BFF since WLS.  Couldn't stand them before, LOL.  It gets so much easier to get all your requirements in after about 2 weeks, at least for me.  Still had to sip, sip sip but by two weeks I was into my ice cold water again and not having a problem getting that in.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

LetsRoll
on 4/28/13 3:20 am - NC

Congratulations on your decision to have the surgery. Keep us posted on your progress.  I am in the presurgery stage right now. 

momof2boyz
on 4/28/13 6:23 am - TX

I literally set a timer for every 15 minutes while awake. At the top of the hour and 15 after, I took in two ounces of water or sugar-free koolaid. At 30 minutes and 45 minutes after, I took in two ounces of protein shake. I used a little measuring cup that my kids Tylenol came with. It's 30 cc (one ounce.)

Also, Slimfast has a chocolate 20 g protein, 2 g carb protein drink that's really pretty good. Lots of bang for the buck I guess you could say.