back surgery :-(

Owlet
on 4/26/13 3:09 am

I had RNY on 1/14/13 and am doing pretty well. The weight is coming off and I am feeling a bit more human now that the swelling is going away.

Sadly my ortho wants me to have fusion surgery asap. When would be an OK time after this surgery? Would it be best to wait 18 months? or does it really not matter?

My biggest worry is the stress will make me gain from lack of exercising and pain. We just have 18 months to make this work for us.

MrsLitch
on 4/26/13 4:55 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I would speak to both surgeons and ask their advice. I've heard different ranges of when it's okay to have surgery. It also depends I'm sure on the severity of the issue.

My co-worker who had rny 3 mo after I did had his hip replaced about 2-3 mo later. That was the plan even before scheduling the rny I believe. They felt the bit of weight loss he'd have at that point would make the surgery easier for him.

I had hernia surgery 6 mo after my rny, and many have gall bladder surgery in the first year. I'm sure there are a lot of variables to be looked at going in and the two surgeons would have the best answers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Karens62
on 4/26/13 5:48 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I would say it depends on what you are fusing? If you're having a kyphoplasty, then it's probably fine. My 97 yr old stepdad had two done last week and went home the next am and was emptying the dishwasher the day after that. If your activity now is limited by whatever body part you see the orthopod for, then you might do even better afterwards and can make the best possible use of your 12-18 months.

Talk with your Orthopod and ask the same questions. He might want a letter of clearance from your RNY surgeon anyway.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Owlet
on 5/20/13 10:10 pm

I finally saw the spine surgeon and he said that I was in a gray area. I need a L4-L5 fusion and recover would be 6-12 months before full function is restored. Since I am not currently on Pain killers to make it through the day, he is fine with waiting.

So we will do physical therapy so I can be in the best shape possible before I have the surgery. He said I would know when to have it, I would have more drop foot and pain.

Thanks for the replies.

Most Active
Recent Topics