Blood Donation

guttedgrace
on 5/1/13 3:18 am
RNY on 05/02/13

My NUT told me not to be a donor anymore as it's hard enough for me to get all the nutrients I need.

Jan W.
on 7/17/13 10:02 pm
RNY on 09/04/12

I've donated twice and I am at 10.5 months. Once was 90 days ago, and then again yesterday. I had some similar symptoms last time and I increased my iron, liquids and protein until I felt better. Then this time, I bumped my iron about a week ago, and made sure to eat and drink enough before. I felt GREAT yesterday until I took a warm shower. That did me in for the rest of the night and now today I feel like I should have just stayed home from work.

With all that said, I had a follow up appointment at my surgeon's office shortly after the previous donation. I mentioned that I had been lightheaded and weak following the donation and that I had used the iron supplement to help. All I was told is that it can also make me dehydrated so if I am donating, I must drink almost an extra day's worth of liquids that day. They did not suggest waiting or verifying my iron levels per lab work... I even mentioned that my iron level at the time of donation was 14.5 - and nothing was said about it being a different type of iron test! I think I may talk to them again before I donate next time, or just start scheduling my donations for Fridays so I can sleep in the next day!

VintageChick
on 7/17/13 10:47 pm
I love blood donors! Six selfless strangers saved my life immediately following my RNY (thanks to the Lovenox shot causing me to hemorrhage) and I wish I could thank them! That said, I researched donation in the future for donating blood myself, and I believe the only way I would do it and not be concerned about jeopardizing my health would be after having a FULL set of labs and my surgeon's approval. I am only 2 months from surgery anyway, and can't donate for 10 more months just because of the transfusions. I'm not sure I will ever donate again, but my husband and sons will continue to. Perhaps you can find another way to help others that won't compromise your own health.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 471 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 462 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views