Blood Donation

Jen S.
on 4/30/13 10:14 am

I am about 3.5 months post op at this point and everything has been going great. So when the blood drive came to my campus today I decided to donate blood since I hadn't done it in a while. Nothing on the paperwork mentioned surgery being a disqualifying factor either. I felt fine immediately after and skipped the required 20 min wait before leaving because I had to get to class. 2 hours later while volunteering at a booth outside I began to get dizzy. I was told by a friend that my lips were white. I sat down, drank more water and tried to eat something. It got better but not by much. It is over 5 hours later and I am still feeling dizzy and tired. I can't recall my surgeon saying not to donate blood and I never thought to ask. At my appointment last week I was told my labs were all perfect. What are the general rules regarding blood donation? Anyone else donated post-surgery and felt this way?

jujubee4224
on 4/30/13 11:16 am
RNY on 04/09/12

I was told that I would have to have written clearance by my surgeon before they would let me donate. I am a year out.

Jules

Melissa Nicely
on 4/30/13 11:16 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

I was told that I had to wait till at least a year to 18 months out and could only donate if my labs were good.

Jen S.
on 4/30/13 11:25 am

Oops! I tend to forget that it has only been a few months from surgery because I feel so great now. Looks like I will be waiting a while until I try that again. I don't know what to do to get rid of this feeling. I have had 30 oz of fluids and 45 grams of protein since I donated and I am still dizzy and lightheaded.

RebYitzchak
on 4/30/13 11:35 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

I was told by my surgeon that blood donation was out after surgery.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

Sara L.
on 4/30/13 2:19 pm

I didn't donate for the first year post-op, but I have donated since and haven't had any issues. I would call your surgeon tomorrow and see what s/he has to say if you're still feeling lousy.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/30/13 2:23 pm - OH

I was told not to donate blood for the first year under any cir****tances, and the doctor recommended not donating at all after RNY.

I cannot donate anyway since i take blood thinners, so I have not had any post-op experience with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/30/13 2:28 pm
3 years after RNY my ferritin tanked. My iron was low. I needed iron infusions. The following year - needed another series. And all that because some of us have problem absorbing iron. I don't have periods so I never expected that. I that donating blood is out for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jen S.
on 4/30/13 2:35 pm

Thanks everyone. Hearing about the year wait limit makes me feel foolish for doing this after less than 4 months. Live and learn I guess. I am slowly feeling better. I also signed up to be a bone marrow donor today... maybe that is out of the question too! My body is freaking out over a pint of blood - I can't imagine what it would do after donating marrow!

Sara O.
on 4/30/13 9:09 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I was told not to donate until after 1 or 2 years postop. I am getting my labs checked soon and plan to donate the next chance I get. I am 13.5 months postop.

Most Active
Recent Topics