Vitamins ?!? Help!

Allison S.
on 5/6/13 10:49 pm - FORT WORTH, TX

Ok everyone, so I am a HORRIBLE vitamin rememberer and I know why.  I am supposed to take (2) Flinstone's chewables and (4) calcium chews per day but those darn Flintstone vitamins are DISGUSTING.  Does anyone take a small swallowable vitamin?  I know that I need to take my vitamins, but I just cant take the foamies that follow.

~Alli

Highest Weight: 265 / Goal Weight:130 / Height: 5'5" / Age: 34

Needanewbeginning
on 5/6/13 10:55 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

My centre doesn't suggest children's chewables. I bought the Costco brand of prenatal ones, many wls folks take them at my centre (HRRH)

enlightened

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Allison S.
on 5/6/13 10:58 pm - FORT WORTH, TX

Thank you for your response.  I also thought.....why not prenatal as they are supposed to be jam packed with the necessary vitamins.  But those pills are so large.  Are the costco brand smaller and tolerable of the pouch?  I was told not to swaller a pill larger than the size of a baby aspirin.

~Alli

Needanewbeginning
on 5/6/13 11:05 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

They aren't small, but can be crushed and mixed with apple sauce I was told. My surgeon suggests pills no larger than smarties. They are full of the vits we need. See if your surgeon agrees.

Good luck 

Annette enlightened

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Turtle Lynn
on 5/6/13 11:25 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
I use the CVS brand, Spectravite Senior chewables, they taste like sweet tarts. I take 2 a day. The swallow pills gag me, you may want to check them out

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I use a pill box planner thingy that I fill once a week with all my meds. It has 4 sections for each day so I always know what I took and what I still need to take daily; and that way I don't forget anything. It's pretty big but was definitely worth getting it!!!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Dee.spunk
on 5/6/13 11:42 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'm sure Kelly will chime in here,( she's the vitamin guru) but the ASMBS recommends two ADULT multi vitamins a day.

Also it should be 1500 of calcium citrate, taken only 500 at a time, two hours apart.
Sublingual B12, B1, Dry D3, to help with the absorption of calcium, and iron with vitamin C for menstruating women.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 5/7/13 12:11 am - OH

Oh my.   Fllintstones are missing some very important nutrients we need.  Take an adult vitamin, like the ASMBS recommends.  Yes, I take a vitamin I swallow.

Are the calcium chews you take calcium citrate?  They aren't carbonate, are they?  We cannot absorb that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Allison S.
on 5/7/13 10:46 pm - FORT WORTH, TX

Kelly -

Thank you!  You say ADULT vitamin?  Which one?  As far as calcium, I was ordered to take calcium citrate (2 bariatric chews, twice daily).  These are super expensive.  I was not "ordered to take anything else like B12 or iron.

~Alli

poet_kelly
on 5/7/13 11:37 pm - OH

Any adult multi with 100% of the RDA of most things in it, including minerals like zinc, copper and selenium.

The ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate daily and since we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, that means we need to take it three or four times a day.

The ASMBS also says we need iron and B12.  They say most post ops also need D3, too; I don't know anyone that maintains a good vitamin D level without taking pretty good doses of D3.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.