Protonix (Pantoprazole)...

honestlinzel
on 5/10/13 8:00 pm - CA

So, I have some questions.

Pre-Op, were you ever told you would have to take this for 4-6 months, perhaps longer?

Were you given the pill form or liquid form?

Do you take it religiously?

Now, here is my story. I am 4 weeks post op today. When I was being discharged from the hospital I was given the prescription for liquid version of Protonix. They never told me once what it was for, or why I had to take it. When I googled it, it simply said that it slows down the process of making stomach acid. For the first 2 weeks I was taking it as directed. I had to take it 4 times daily. The liquid made me sick and nauseous every single time. I came here and was told there is a pill form, yay. I called my PCP and she said I had to come see her before I could get the pills but that I could not see her for another week and a half. I stopped taking the meds. At this point I was getting massive headaches and just over all not feeling well.

Fast forward to this week. The past 2 weeks I have gotten sick on everything I eat and drink. I constantly have pain, and nausea. My surgeon told me to go to the ER and have tests done. Come to find out, my pouch is filled with stomach acid. To the point that whenever anything enters my pouch, the acid is pushed into my esophagus and intestines. My surgeon was very concerned. He told me that at this point I am on the cliff and going over the edge. He wrote me the script for the pill version and told me to take it once a day until he tells me to stop. He also gave me more pain meds for the headaches, and nausea meds. He told me I cannot afford to have more complications because I am so sick currently. I constantly have fevers, and it has just been bad.

So, take your protonix. Do not skip it, you will regret that.

I wish I had asked earlier what it was, and how important it really was. Now I am paying the price. My surgeon says if I am in pain longer than a week after taking it, I need to come back to the ER right away. The acid can erode my sutures and the areas he worked on, and if it comes apart, I will probably be dead before I get to the hospital.

blah.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

oceanluv05
on 5/10/13 10:39 pm

I just recently started it pill form in addition to  liquid carafate.  Totally feel for where you're at right now!  I was in a similar situation ;unable to drink even water, highly nauseated, headache, no energy, beyond miserable.  and ended up hospitalized for almost a week; due to sever dehydration and from all the acid .  I'm surprised your doctor hasn't decided to do the same with you. Sounds like you have high chance of being dehydrated?  In regard to long term usage- I hope there would come a time where you can move onto the pill if be off of it.  hope this was helpful. you're not alone

honestlinzel
on 5/10/13 10:57 pm - CA
On May 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM Pacific Time, oceanluv05 wrote:

I just recently started it pill form in addition to  liquid carafate.  Totally feel for where you're at right now!  I was in a similar situation ;unable to drink even water, highly nauseated, headache, no energy, beyond miserable.  and ended up hospitalized for almost a week; due to sever dehydration and from all the acid .  I'm surprised your doctor hasn't decided to do the same with you. Sounds like you have high chance of being dehydrated?  In regard to long term usage- I hope there would come a time where you can move onto the pill if be off of it.  hope this was helpful. you're not alone

Thank you! I did spend over 10 hours in the hospital, hopefully I won't have to go back again. Eek!

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 441 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views