Two Weeks - Yippee

JulieIND
on 5/14/13 5:22 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I am two weeks post-op a conversion from the mini-gastric bypass to roux-en-y due to complications.  I actually developed a stricture at 6 years post-op the MGB that was not responsive to repeated dilations.

Anyways, I had my RNY on May 1st and had several things go wrong.  I had a slight heart attack during surgery, half my spleen died from being punctured, and I contracted C. difficile (by far the nastiest thing I've ever went through!!).  I ended up staying nine days in the hospital!  They don't know what caused the heart issue yet, but I think it's probably because I was so unhealthy from not being able to eat due to the stricture for so many months and my body just gave up for a minute.  Luckily, I only lost a little bit of function and they say I won't even notice.  I have to have a heart cath when I heal to check for other possible reasons.

So since I've been home, I've lost another 10 pounds because I have to follow the standard 2-ounce RNY meal plan.  I saw the doctor two days ago and they've now upped that to 2-4 ounces depending on what I can tolerate because my pouch was kept larger than a newbie RNY so I could gain back some of the 30 pounds I had lost during the past few months.  Even though they're allowing me to eat up to 4 ounces of soft/pureed foods, I'm finding 2 ounces is still all I can eat.  I am happy to report I'm having no nausea and vomiting, though!  I really have high hopes this is going to fix the problem I was having and I can get healthy once again! 

Brandi O.
on 5/14/13 9:51 pm - TX
RNY on 05/13/13 with
I'm glad you're doing well and are optimistic!

glad2balive
on 5/14/13 10:26 pm

Your mindset says a lot about you. You will be fine! Good luck! Happy recovering! 

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

cymbalom
on 5/15/13 1:52 am
Oh, good for you! It sounds as though you're on the right road to mend. Very tough luck about the stricture and getting so run down --- oh, and the C. diff. You may be fighting that for a while.

But you have a great attitude, and I wish I could give you a hug!

Angie

305(h)+++++++251(c)+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++200(g)
PaintingJoy
on 5/15/13 9:25 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

Wow, you have been through a lot!  I'm glad that things are going better now.  And boy, do I know about C.diff.  My mom had aortic valve replacement 3 years ago (she was 85!) and flew through the surgery with flying colors ~ only to get that nasty bug.  My DH and I also go it so all 3 of us were poor puppies for awhile (we were her caretakers.)  Happy to report she's still doing well, just turned 88 and I'm set for my RNY on Monday.  

Best wishes for continued improvement!

Most Active
Recent Topics