Healthy Snacking??

LittleRedAries
on 5/15/13 5:46 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Just wanted to ask a quick question.  I'm 3 weeks out, down 15 and a bit pounds, and sometimes I find that I'm a little hungry between meals.  I really want some sort of sorbet or ice cream, but have been hesitant because of the sugar and I don't want to go back to doing what I used to do.  Does anybody have any low or no sugar ice creams or such that they could suggest that would satisfy but not hurt me?  I tried looking for sugar free fudge bars, but they didn't have them when I went.  They had regular fudgesicles but at 8g of sugar.  Would love some suggestions!!  Thanks in advance!

plum21
on 5/15/13 6:00 am - Miami, FL

You're eating every three hours and you're hungry between meals?

You may not ACTUALLY be hungry. I wouldn't suggest ice cream this early out. It's difficult because by nature, we obese people want to cheat and check the system. I used to sneak food as a child, and even as an adult didn't want to eat in front of people, so was cheating that way too.

You may want to check out head hunger and real hunger. If you're drinking as much as you should and eating every three hours, there shoudn't be much room for extras.

That said, I eat sugar-free popsicles as a once in a while snack. Don't let your body convince you to snack unhealthily this early out. You control your body. What does your doctor say you should snack on. A handlful of blueberries would be better than ice cream and you can, in these early months, train your body to crave healthier snacks. It takes 6 months to change a habit (not three weeks like the conventional wisdon states), so it's best to use these 6 months wisely.

LittleRedAries
on 5/15/13 6:06 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

Ohhh...I actually havent been eating every 3 hours...i have avoided that because I felt like I was eating TOO much lol *sigh*....I won't do the ice cream but maybe if I try the every 3 hours, I won't feel that hungry...I'm not "starving" hungry, but just want that little "something"...what do you all have between your actual meals...(ie after breakfast,.......,after lunch,......after dinner.......)? those 2 extra meals? I should try that again, but then I feel like I'm always eating *laughing*...oh GEEZ...I dont know! lol

Melissa Nicely
on 5/15/13 6:19 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

If you feel like you need something else, get you some SF Jello, some SF Pudding (maybe mix some protein powder in to get you to your goal easier), Bluebunny makes a SF fudgecicle that we can have and there are SF popsicles out there as well. I have better luck finding SF stuff at Kroger's more so then Wal Mart. If you want something icy/slushy try putting come ice in your protein shake and blending it up, I love doing that to my Chocolate shakes and it helps to get your liquid in for the day. If you look on theworldaccordingtoeggface.com they have recipes for protein ice cream that you can make as well. I hope some of this helps you.

Karens62
on 5/15/13 6:42 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Protein fudgesicles. I use the recipe on the Unjury website and then put it into these. Each one is 7-8gms protein depending on how accurately I measure the protein powder. Sometimes I add more than the recipe Calls for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083PRD90/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't cheap but each recipe makes 10 pops and the silicone keeps them fresh for weeks.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

LittleRedAries
on 5/15/13 6:56 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

thanks so much....i'll give these a try....i guess im just looking for that "something different" lol

AnniesSS
on 5/15/13 8:15 am
RNY on 09/11/12

You should follow the eating schedule your doc or nut gave you about how much to eat and when!  I was told 6 small meals a day and I usually eat 5.  I'm shocked that you are hungry

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

LittleRedAries
on 5/15/13 9:12 am - Uxbridge, MA
RNY on 04/24/13

I'm thinking that the reason I'm hungry is that I have been afraid to eat 5-6 times per day for fear of "overeating".  I will have to bite the bullet and do as I'm supposed to be doing, therefore, probably eliminating the "hunger" issues.

MrsLitch
on 5/15/13 10:41 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
If your doctor plan calls for that many meals go for it. I'm allowed 3 meals a day, and can add a snack if needed for protein. I'm full on that if I wait to drink after meals then drink the whole time between.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 5/15/13 11:30 am - OH

Why are you shocked?  Many people feel hungry very soon after surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.