Peanuts - Skin or No Skin

dahoodman
on 5/16/13 10:54 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Question for those of you who eat peanuts. I have eaten peanuts the past without the skins and I had no issues. Last night I had some peanuts in the shell and did not skin them. I didn't appear to have any issues with them at all. However, about 2 hours later I went to eat some baked (in an oven bag) chicken and after a few bites something just didn't agree. I tried a couple more bites and decided to stop and just have a protein shake instead after 20  or 30 minutes. I have eaten chicken since day one out of the hospital and have tolerated all different types. This is the first time with this type, but it's also the first time with peanuts with skins on them.

I was wondering if perhaps it was the peanuts, but I had eaten those roughly 2 hours prior and had even drank water between the peanuts and the chicken. Maybe just a bad day for my stomach yesterday?

Thanks,

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Dee.spunk
on 5/16/13 11:33 pm - Sacramento, CA
I doubt the peanuts had anything to do with it. It was probably just the chicken. I can usually eat chicken just fine, but every once in a while it doesn't agree with me.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MyLady Heidi
on 5/17/13 1:31 am, edited 5/17/13 1:38 am

I am a huge tree nut fan but not a peanut fan but I have eaten them occasionally, like at Yankee Stadium, when the real Yankee's used to play, when is Jetere coming back again???  Oh wait I was swooning, what did you ask again?  Oh yeah peanut skins, I doubt they were the issue.  I don't eat dry food so you can't ask me, remember I sip water with my food, heaven forbide I must be the devil to not want to choke to death on my dinner.  So if you cook it in a bag, and there is some moisture in the bottom of the bag and you want to lick it, do you have to wait 30 minutes after you eat to do so?  lol  Sorry.  I can't control my laughter today, it is Friday after all, and I am contemplating to donut or not to donut tomorrow for brekkie.  Ohhhh I am sooooo bad.

Enjoy your dry chicken.

Here's my daytime look....

But this is where I really belong, the cover of Vogue! lol

dahoodman
on 5/17/13 4:18 am, edited 5/17/13 4:19 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

You are a bad girl! Hey you know the whole thing with eating and drinking I'm not sold on 100% either. I was told the main reason not to do it is that you will wash the food out of your pouch to quickly making you hungry quicker. Well, even though I do get hungry sometimes, I never really get all that hungry. I've skipped meals because I just didn't feel like eating. So if the only issue is that you will/may get hungry quicker I'm kind of with you on that subject. Is it possible that we may get less nutrition if we drink and eat? If that's the case then eating and drinking would cause you to not get as many calories therefore people would be using that to "cheat" and eat more food, but I don't see that as the case. I'm really starting to wonder. I think I will have to go research this a bit to find out. No dry chicken for me, I cook mine nice and moist and if it comes out dry it either gets thrown out or I use some gravy.

Bad girl!!!

edit: oh one thing I did think about is I guess you could maybe eat more food because you wa**** out of your pouch and you can stuff more in. If you only eat the 4oz or so you are supposed to eat then no sweat right. I guess if I really have that much self control then why couldn't I do that before.... Still learning this **** but I do feel a lot more committed to this than anything I have ever done before.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

MyLady Heidi
on 5/17/13 4:45 am

So if water washes chicken out of your pouch and you get less nutrition how on earth do you get any nutrition from a protein drink especially those ones made with water, like all those disgusting Nectar ones?  Makes you think it is all just a crock of ****  And I never suggested anyone drink a meal and wa**** down with a whole glass of water, I sip to clear my mouth and moisten dry food.  Been doing it for 8 years and I still weigh 137lbs.  Do you really think it is an accident?  All the old timers I know in real life always drank with meals, and they were all completely fine.  I never stretched anything, actually I believe since my food never sat like a rock in my pouch it is probably less stretched, hence the reason I cannot eat a whole bagel even now.  And the only reason I teased you with this is I know you have a sense of humor, which has been known to be removed from some wls patients, so tread lightly or you will be call a bad girl like me.  I love being the thorn in the side though, I was never a fitter in, more of a disorganizer, doubt caster, make it right or don't make it at all type.  I don't mesh well with many people, which is perfectly fine with me, I prefer the company of animals to people any day.  My bf often quips if I had to choose, would I keep him or my two goldens, and he knows he is dangerously close to sleeping on the floor while they sleep on his pillow and blankey.  lol

Have a great day!

dahoodman
on 5/17/13 9:19 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

My sense of humor has not been lost as of yet anyway. I think you're right though, some seem to have lost it. But then again, I didn't know a lot, ha, any, of them before-hand so maybe they never had it. We share a lot of personality traits except I'd rather be around peeps although I do love animals. Everything else is about the same though. You make a lot of good points on this whole water and stomach stretching thing. Oh and the Protein drink. I never really thought of it that way. I was told that 1-2 ounces of water/liquid during a meal was fine although so far I have been a golden child and haven't touched the stuff. I do enjoy my SF/NSA snacks though like chocolate covered peanuts, Klondike bars, fudge sicles, and whatever else I can get my hands on. I don't eat much of it, but probably more than one is "supposed" to eat. I guess it's tougher after the "honeymoon" is over to maintain the weight loss. You are doing very well, congrats on that.

You have a great day as well...Peace!

MyLady Heidi
on 5/18/13 1:31 am

Thanks I am off to see Star Trek in IMAX 3D this afternoon.  I am not really a Trekkie per se but I saw the coming attractions last week when we went to see the Great Gatsby that I am now all in.  No popcorn for me though, I am brining a protein bar to avoid temptation.

As for not being a people person, don't get me wrong about that, I care very deeply and truly believe in humanity, but I HATE stupid, ignorant, prejudice people and I don't hide those feelings very well.  For example last night I went tanning which I do in the spring to get ready to lounge around in my pool, well I made friends with the lady that works there and yesterday she was outside with her friend who was obviously 9 months pregnant smoking.  OMG I wanted to slap her, really honestly, the lady came in to get me setup for my tanning session and I said to her that her friend is being irresponsible and she should intervene.  I probably didn't say it all that nicely though, I told her the story of my bf's cousin who had to push out her dead 6 month old baby after she smoked the entire pregnancy and the baby died.  Yeah Happy New Years, it happened on New Years day.  Best part was when she turned around and got pregnant again and smoked through that pregnancy too.  My boyfriend and his entire family stopped speaking to her, she was told what she was doing was wrong and continued.  Her call, I guess, but not something I could ever not say something about if I saw her.  And this is probably why I love animals, they aren't stupid, don't do anything maliciously and don't have ulterior motives for their actions.

Okay now I am late getting ready. Have a great weekend.  I checked out your pics, your boys are adorable.  Hopefully you are doing something fun with your wife and kids today.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 446 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views