ER visit yesterday, had RNY May 13th

daxsgirl
on 5/22/13 8:34 am - NC
RNY on 05/13/13

Well i thought I was having a heart attack yesterday. I am still on liquids and felt nauseated most of the day, then around noon my chest started hurting, and I was clammy. The pain was in my shoulder and arm was tingly. Talk about being scared to death. My hubby was at work so i had to call 911. better to be safe than sorry. They did EKG and said it looked OK, but to go to get blood work done just in case. Come to find out I have Acid reflux, and esophageal spasms. They gave me Zofran and a PPI for the reflux. Is this normal??? I have lost 27 pounds since pre op diet, and the past week after surgery.

cajungirl
on 5/22/13 10:34 am
RNY is suppose to be the best surgery to cure reflux. I had a moderate case before surgery and no problems since. However. I've seen other newbies and vets complain of it recently. You did the best thing getting meds. I hope it resolves it for you.

Did you have it before surgery?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

PetHairMagnet
on 5/22/13 12:05 pm, edited 5/22/13 12:06 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh I am so, so sorry to hear this! I had surgery the same day as you and would have freaked if that had happened to me!

My husband was on Nexium for at least 14 years, and you name it for a decade before that, to help control his GERD. If you do have reflux, then you might want to ask your doctor about Nexium. Not sure about the spasms, that doesn't sound fun at all! I will add--he is completely off the Nexium since 30 days post op. I am sorry if this is new for you or not resolved for you if it was present prior.

Hugs to you!!

daxsgirl
on 5/22/13 12:22 pm - NC
RNY on 05/13/13
No I didn't have this before surgery.

CosmoK
on 5/22/13 9:26 pm

My doctor gave me a 1 a day pill to control acid and possible ulcers due to the healing process..  It's a 60 day supply but said I should be fine to get off it after that.... I had acid reflux before.. Plus I'm sure all that **** in our bodies from surgery is still haning around hahahaha..

Highest Weight: 468 Pounds, Pre Op Diet Weight: 436 Pounds, Surgery Weight: 423 Pounds

Surgery Date 5-13-13 with Dr Roy Cobean Portland Maine.. Casco Bay Surgeries!!!  Wonderful place!!

VintageChick
on 5/22/13 11:39 pm
I've had esophageal spasms for several years because of reflux. They HURT! In fact, that's the reason I chose RNY over VSG with the VSGs increased chance of refluxing. The esophageal pain can be debilitating at times. The only thing that helps me is to drink several gulps of water (something I can't do post-RNY so this may get interesting as a new RNYer) and to dissolve a half-tablet of my anti-anxiety med under my tongue ASAP. Hopefully this will be a one-time thing for you and surgery just stirred things up.