4 days post surgery questio?

MandyinTX
on 5/21/13 8:55 am
Every drink I take I feel like I have air go in that has to come out.. hard to describe its like bubbles .. then I need to burp, every time. I even have to stand up at times. I am due to start creamy soup., and yogurt on Saturday.. but am having a hard time with just drinking right now? I would aporeciate feedback please!!?

Surgery date: May 17, 2013  Surgery: Gastric Bypass   Doctor:Joya Location: Puerta Vallarta Mexico

Seeing myself in a picture changed my life, I finally said no more. What ever I have to do to make my dreams come true I will do it!! And little did I know that's when my journey would begin! And so here I go!! :)

losingtobemoreofme
on 5/21/13 9:17 am

I was having the same problem and the PA at my surgeon's office told me that even though they don't usually recommend straws after surgery, that she was going to do just that.  Apparently after she had her surgery she had the same problem and found she could do sips without as much air with the straw.  

I don't know if it would work for you, but it has helped me.  

RebYitzchak
on 5/21/13 9:22 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

The question is, what are you drinking liquids from? I had this problem drinking from a bottle. My NUT told me to try drinking from a glass. Now I do not have the issue anymore.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

PetHairMagnet
on 5/21/13 9:51 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Have you tried a straw. I get less air via a straw that without.

Here is another technique, but it takes some getting used to.

Drink from a cup with a sippy lid and have the drink RIGHT at the edge when you put the drink to your lips. Pull a small amount in and breathe out through your nose and then swallow. I about choked the first few times I tried it (post c-section when I seriously thought the gas would KILL ME) and it did work. But it isn't easy!

I am drinking from a straw exclusively now and am 8 days post-op and no issues. Give it a try!

MandyinTX
on 5/21/13 10:17 am
I've been scared to drink from a straw. Because of the air I could take in. I love drinking from a straw.. I have been drinking from a glass/ cup..
Every sip I take in air..

Surgery date: May 17, 2013  Surgery: Gastric Bypass   Doctor:Joya Location: Puerta Vallarta Mexico

Seeing myself in a picture changed my life, I finally said no more. What ever I have to do to make my dreams come true I will do it!! And little did I know that's when my journey would begin! And so here I go!! :)

Melissa Nicely
on 5/21/13 11:22 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

I drink from a bottle with a sports top and I haven't had any problems since I came home. Sometimes if I take too big of a drink I get a feeling like the bubbles you are talking about. I find the soups and yogurt go down easier where they are thicker. My favorite cream soup so far has been Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herb. It has so much flavor compared to any of the other's that I have had.

MandyinTX
on 5/21/13 11:42 am
Yum I am almost there I will have to try that soup! Maybe sports bottle might work.. Im still scared to try a straw.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 219 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views