Carb advice???

Gilly68
on 5/26/13 8:00 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

So I am almost 6 months out, and recently I have begun to add back in some whole grains....but they scare me. How much do you/should I be eating?? I have added back things like whole grain+flax seed crackers/tortillas, whole wheat toast, grits, the occassional tortilla if I get a wrap or taco. At home I use whole wheat ones,but if I am out, I will eat part of the flour one. It also seems like I am able to eat more than I used to. I am scared that adding the carbs has made me more hungry, or that they will slow my weightloss, or even worse make me gain it back!! Irrational, perhaps...but I just don't want to start making bad habits!! ADVICE PLEASE???

Mary Catherine
on 5/26/13 8:38 am
They will do all 3. Save them for after you are way under goal and want to regain. Wheat is not a good choice when you still want to lose
Gilly68
on 5/26/13 9:02 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

Thanks!

Larry Wassmann
on 5/26/13 9:13 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I started eating about the same things you are at the same time. But I do not bring sliced bread of any kind into my home because I can not stay away from it. But I think as long as you have your protein first you can have a LIMITED amount of grains as carbs. I have 4 saltine crackers each night. One tottilla wrap on egg beaters and cheese once a week. I have 2 small Taco sells on Friday night with weighed amonuts of meat and refried beans and cheese. On Saturday mornings I have 4 ounces of some grain cereal. Other than that, I don't have whole, or any other grain if I can avoid it. This is fine for me and I am at gaol and never had a gain over the past year eating like this...but and here I am being a big pest again. Weigh or measue everything that goes in your mouth and log it then you have NO NEED to be scared. You will know you are doing what you are supposed to do and can see it in black and white or what ever color you computer wants to put on its display. Good luck to you, you are doing fine.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Pittsteelers
on 5/26/13 9:44 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I love wheat toast. I also will eat a fiber one honey wheat wrap for lunch. I keep my carb intake at about 135 grams a day.

Rose_Queen
on 5/26/13 4:15 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12

I eat kashi high protein cereal, bananas, apples, beans, quinoa, dairy and veggies for carbs. Also nuts, seeds, a few bites of steel cut oats, bulgur, farro, - stuff like that. I'm working to eliminate meat, add more veggies and be able to get all of my protein from food instead of powders.

My nutritionist suggested adding these because I'm training for half marathons and running 2 hours  a day and also going to the gym. She said to not deliberately add more, but eating more will come naturally as we have a little more quinoa here and some more chili there. 

So I wouldn't go out of your way to add in crackers, wraps or bread, but whole grains are good for our bodies, so getting them in their regular forms seems like a healthy thing to do. Can you just eat oats, bulgur, beans, quinoa - stuff like that if you want carbs? 

HW (Jan 2012): 308    SW (May 2012): 275       CW: 145   GW: 135  

Misty Morgan
on 5/27/13 3:08 am - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
After six weeks I can have wheat or whole grain if I am getting all my protein in.

Gilly68
on 5/27/13 7:20 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

Thanks for the advice everyone. I noticed that when I do add the grains in, my "stool" is bulkier and I feel bloated. I think this week I am going to focus on getting back to basics...I think the key for me is not to have it in the house, but the occassional treat when I am out, is ok.

marye140
on 5/27/13 11:52 am - DE
I am 10 months out. I usually have 2 starches a day. I like crunchy stuff. My new favorite is a serving of fiber one chocolate cereal in Dannon llight and fit strawberry Greek yogurt. I like pretzels with low fat cheese. I think the important thing is to balance it with protein. I might get yelled at by some folks on here but it works for me.

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?