Nutrition and vitamin requirements 5 years post op?

pilotadelcielo
on 5/28/13 3:02 am - PA

Hi everyone!

Been a long while since I visited.  Am five years post op and have maintained a 70 pound weight loss (gained 20).  I am aware as to why the weight is creeping back and it's my responsibility to act on the causes. 

But I'm curious as to how much I should be consuming (calories, protein etc.) as well as vitamins this far out from surgery.  Would be grateful for any advice.  I'm male, 5' 10", age 69, 228 lbs, and exercise by walking two miles daily.

Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Blessings,

Ron 

juleskar
on 5/28/13 3:15 am
Check out the ASMBS guidelines for the vitamin info.
I went to my nut for a re-check. She hooked me up to a bunch of electrodes and the machine told her how much I weigh, water, lean mass, etc. it also told her how many calories I needed to consume daily to maintain my current weight, which then gave me a guideline on how many calories I should consume to lose weight. It was extremely helpful.
Good luck!!
pilotadelcielo
on 5/29/13 1:39 am - PA

Hi Juleskar,

I found the guidelines and they were very helpful.  Thanks for your help and prayers for a successful and healthy journey!

Blessings,

Ron

poet_kelly
on 5/28/13 3:39 am - OH

For vitamins, the ASMBS recommends two multivitamins (adult vitamins with minerals like zinc, copper and selenium), 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate, 36 mg iron, and B12 (500 -1000 mcg sublingual, or the nasal spray weekly, or shots monthly).  They say most people also need additional D3, and you may need other vitamins based on your labs.  Have you had labs done lately?  Have you been taking vitamins?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pilotadelcielo
on 5/29/13 1:41 am - PA

Hi Kelly,

Found the guidelines and they were very helpful.,,many thanks!  Prayers for a successful and healthy journey for you!

Blessings,

Ron

LadyLilMax
on 5/28/13 9:01 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Do a search on here for Lukesant 4/14/13 for a great post on getting back to basics.

Also, look for Neen's notes here for how to succeed.

Go to Fat2Fitradio.com and find how to calculate your BMR which really helps.  Just a lot of tools there.

Try to use myfitnesspal.com as it keeps you honest with amounts, foods, exercise etc. 

Congrats!  You have really achieved an amazing thing with  your weight loss and for maintaining it for so long.

Good luck and keep us informed how it is going.

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

pilotadelcielo
on 5/29/13 1:45 am - PA

Hi LadyLilMax,

Many thanks for your response and kind words.  I will seek out the sites you recommend.  Prayers for a successful and healthy journey for you!

Blessings,

Ron

Most Active
Recent Topics