Bad, bad day... need some advice on choosing which surgery with acid reflux....

susan1277
on 5/31/13 10:56 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Well I apologize, this will be a long post.  I thought I had figured this out with my surgeon about 6 weeks ago but at my pre-op visit today it all went to heck.

I have severe acid reflux, up to my collar bones.  The last time I spoke with him he said that I need to be aware of the problems that could arise with the sleeve (which I was planning on getting) and an increase in acid reflux.  He said that it could get worse, but may be able to be controlled with medication.  Worst case scenario, revision to RnY.

Today he comes in the office and he really, really doesn't want me to do the sleeve due to the acid.  He just revised his 3rd sleeve patient after suggesting they get the Rny due to the acid reflux.  He said mine is as bad as theirs, if not more severe.  He said if I do the sleeve like I would like to, I will be the last one he allows to do it with severe acid reflux if mine goes bad and I have to revise. 

Acid reflux and the sleeve is such a crap shoot!  I have seen people on here that have reflux and they do fine with the sleeve.  I do NOT want to have a revision surgery due to the complications that can arise from it.  I have been planning all along to do the sleeve, now I need to seriously consider the Rny.  I am a few days into my liquid pre-op diet, to be sleeved on June 10.

Did anyone else have this conversation with their doctor?  How did you decide which surgery was best for you?  Are you happy with your decision?  I am really freaking out about having the Rny, I worry about the malnutrition and re-routing of my intestine.  Any advice would be helpful. He suggested I go without my reflux meds for 5 days to see how it goes.  At this time I don't have symptoms and I am on 20 mg of omeprazole, no hietal hernia.  Thanks in advance!!!

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

PetHairMagnet
on 5/31/13 11:13 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband had HORRIFIC GERD. Within 30 days of the RNY he was off medication he'd been on for over 15 years.

No way would he have chanced a sleeve given the GERD issues. He is so happy to be off that medicine!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

hall_oatesjunkie
on 5/31/13 11:30 am - FL
RNY on 05/06/13

I personally know someone with severe GERD who's surgeon strongly recommended RNY and she was dead set on the sleeve, 2 months later she needed to have a revision to RNY. I had bad reflux and actually today (one month out) I saw a commercial for acid reflux medicine and realized I hadnt had an episode since I woke up in the hospital after my surgery! Mine wasnt really bad so ofcourse I cant say you'll wake up better, but I have to advise you to listen to your surgeon. He wont do anything to harm you he wants whats best for you.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

maxwell2012
on 5/31/13 11:31 am

Last summer I had the Bariatric surgery work up.  All went well until I had my last test, upper endoscopy which showed Barretts esophagus.  For me , it had been silent reflux, never felt any heartburn.  Lap Band and Sleeve Gastrectomy are totally ruled out for me.  I do not want Gastric Bypass, too afraid of the the long term problems.  Research the Gastric Bypass, don't just listen to what the surgeon has to say.  Look up long term vitamin, mineral, protein deficiency.  Be well informed before you make a life altering decision.  Good Luck.

hall_oatesjunkie
on 5/31/13 11:35 am - FL
RNY on 05/06/13

ofcourse!! research research research!!! Look it up on Y****ch the videos, that helped me a lot! Join support groups on FB

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Miamos
on 5/31/13 11:39 am - OH
I didn't have a choice my dr said rny was the best for me. I did have acid reflux for about 6 years ( since I was pregnant with my 2nd son) I could not eat with out taking tums and even thinking about drinking orange juice gave me heart burn. I told dr but no one ever did anything to help even in the gi test they do to see your gi tract before rny surgery did not show anything. When he went in for the rny he found the heital hernia and fixed it all with in the same surgery. I have felt tons better do not live on tums and can even drink orange juice with no problems.
Don't know if that helps any I don't know much about the sleeve but I do know like me a lot of people have hernia s fixed durning their rny surgeries
JaneJetson60
on 5/31/13 12:44 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

One of the first things I learned on OH was the expression, "think twice, cut once."   Susan, you have to be the one to make the final decision.  You didn't need me to point that out, you already know.  This is a huge decision we all have made and it comes with all kinds of doubts and fears and what if's.. From all that I have read is the Sleeve is not the best option for people with acid reflux.  You also need to think about many insurances will only cover one weight loss surgery. Period.  So if you have to have a revision then the cost will fall on you.  If your husband had RNY and he looks great by the way, he can be of real value to you as you both would be living that lifestyle.  Not that having the Sleeve is bad at all especially since with the Sleeve you can take NSAIDs should you need them down the road and RNY you cannot.  But the last thing you need are complications due to acid reflux.

We will support you no matter what decision you make, Susan.. Again, think twice, cut once.  Best wishes to you, Jane  

susan1277
on 5/31/13 1:12 pm - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Thanks Jane.  Yes, its a difficult decision.  I just wish I knew how I would do with it.  As long as it could be controlled with meds I would be ok with that.  My husband had the sleeve done in January.  He would be ok if I didn't have surgery at all.  lol.  I appreciate your insight.  More research and reading for me this weekend.  I have been taking my meds for 4 years. I'm going to see what happens when I don't take them. I may be back up tonight at 3am with acid posting again!

JaneJetson60
on 6/1/13 10:54 am
RNY on 05/07/12

I am sorry, Susan I don't know where I got the idea your husband had RNY.  I guess I was having a D-E-R-R moment!!!  Jane

65rosesmom
on 6/1/13 12:14 pm

HOnestly, why would you want to be on long term meds for something this very surgery could remedy?   Did you know that PPIs make absorption of calcium very difficult?   As in those on long term PPIs wind up with osteoporosis?   So getting the sleeve saves you some of the vitamin absorption issues and then y ou take PPIs for the rest of your life and get them anyway.   I had the RNY for the primary purpose of getting rid of my acid reflux.  If I didn't lose a single pound it would have been worth every second....I am finally pain free!!!!

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views