OT-bluish lips and fingernails

Missy A.
on 6/2/13 9:57 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

In the last couple of weeks and especially tonight, my lips and fingernails have been turning blue, like cyanosis. I'm not cold and my breathing is fine, so it doesn't seem like there is an oxygen problem. But what gives? Doesn't anyone have any idea of what this is?  I'm getting ready to leave the state for a visit to family about 7hrs away for a week and don't know if this is something I should see a doctor about. I'm supposed to leave in the morning, but can postpone until the afternoon if I need to see a doc.

All ideas/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Kat Kat
on 6/2/13 10:48 am - AZ

There is no "Good" reason for lips and nails turning blue unless you painted them that color. I hate to sound dramatic, but you really should...no...NEED to go to the ER! If after reading this you still really can't bring yourself to do it, then call your PCP and talk to he doctor on call, so he/she will tell you to go.

I wish you well...let us know how it goes.

Kat

gwynnkitty
on 6/2/13 11:03 am - North York, Canada

When I was really anemic, that would happen. I'd call your PCP at the very least - never hurts to get it checked into. :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

PetHairMagnet
on 6/2/13 11:38 am
RNY on 05/13/13

At the very least, I would want them to do an oxygen reading on my finger. The ER here will do that without admitting you if cost is a concern for you. I know for me, ER is 250$ unless they admit me overnight. But we have a son with asthma and whenever we have had concerns, they have always done a Ox Sat test without any problems at literally any hospital we've ever gone to. And the few times that it really was too low, they admitted him, STAT!

Please do not delay, this is nothing to mess around with! I'd go TONIGHT!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

mpjones
on 6/3/13 8:32 am

Hope you had this checked out-- I had this and then found out my lungs  (both sides) were filled with blood clots. If you haven't been to the ER or at least seen your doctor PLEASE do so.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/3/13 10:33 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I have been thinking (worrying) about you all day. I hope you'll update and let us know how things are going.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views