MRI Update

Strjen
on 6/13/13 4:06 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Well I got the call from the Dr about my MRI. I have a fracture at the end of one of the bones that connect to my knee with inflammation & fluid built up. He said that it doesn't look like it will require surgery. Thank God! He said that I have osteopenia with the possibility of it being osteoporosis. I would have to have more tests done to determine the severity of it. I go to see the orthopedic on Tuesday & go from there. Till then I'm still to be in my immobilizer & on crutches, which by the way sucks. At least this way I can't just mosey on into the kitchen & graze on anything. So that's a plus. I hate that I have to have help doing things though. Oh well I need to be thankful its not worse than it is. Thanks for everyone's kind words & concerns.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Strjen
on 6/13/13 4:51 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

By the way my Calcium was drawn in Dec. was 10 & my Vit D3 was greater than 100 & they wanted me to stop taking the Vit D, but I still take the 50k once a week as I don't want to become deficient. What could be other causes of osteopenia if it isn't calcium absorption issues?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/13 4:54 am

Low Vit K2, other minerals (stronium?) magnesium, etc...  many factors. JUst becaus eyour D and calcium are good it does not mean that your body can rebuild the bones. 

What was your PTH? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Strjen
on 6/13/13 4:59 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I don't have Vit K or PTH on my lab results. My Magnesium was 2.0

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/13 5:06 am

PTH is important - it shows if your body is taking calcium from the bones or not.   (google PTH). 

You may need to get into a good endo and see if they can help you.   Sometimes - that condition may be genetic - my friend was diagnosed with that at age 40... (a normie) after her mother fell and broke her hip and spine... and was diagnosed with a severe bone density issue.  

If your PTH is OK - then it may be some other issues... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Strjen
on 6/13/13 5:23 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I will definitely bring this up at my appointment on Tuesday. I did not have a bone density scan before surgery. Thanks for your words of wisdom. I don't remember anyone on my mom or dad's side that had osteopenia or osteoporosis.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/13/13 4:54 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Ouch, that sounds painful! I am glad you do not need surgery!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Strjen
on 6/13/13 5:00 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Thank you! Me too.

cajungirl
on 6/13/13 5:12 am

Did you have a bone density before surgery?  It's possible you were osteopenia before surgery.  I do agree with Hala have them draw your PTH.

Osteoporosis runs rampant on both sides of my family.  It concerns me and why I make sure to know my numbers at each lab draw.  I also have had bone density done every two years (as long as it is good, it's only recommended every two years). 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Strjen
on 6/13/13 5:27 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I've never had the bone density test done. I will be bringing the PTH up at my appointment on Tuesday for sure. Thank you. I'm definitely concerned, either way if it is taking the calcium from my bones or it is something else causing it. It can't be good.