How much sugar?

Brenda S.
on 6/21/13 8:22 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
If you are a dumper, how much sugar makes you dump? I know everyone is different. I've never dumped, but I've never eaten anything with a considerable amount of sugar either. I bough some frozen fruit bars that contain 15g of sugar. I want one, but I'm scared to try it. What do you think??

poet_kelly
on 6/21/13 9:30 am - OH

I'm OK with at least 15 grams of sugar now.

Do the bars you bought have added sugar or is that 15 grams all from the fructose in the fruit?  That might make a difference.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MultiMom
on 6/21/13 9:32 am - NH

I don't know if I would have dumped because I never pushed the limits. Quite honestly, I didn't want to know. I had a self imposed rule of 10 grams of sugar, not including milk products.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

65rosesmom
on 6/21/13 9:33 am

I'm okay with 15 grams of sugar in a protein bar....but that is pretty close to my limit.  Sometimes the bars will get my heart beating faster, but not a full out dump misery.

I get the No Sugar Added frozen yogurt which still has some sugar in it (all dairy does) and if I stupidly add toppings I can get it to the point that I get sick...won't do that again.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 6/21/13 9:47 am - OH

I usually stick with fruit toppings, or some other topping in small amounts I know is low in sugar.  For instance, I had no sugar added frozen yogurt with oreo cookie pieces on it once.  I know I can eat three oreos and stay under my 15 grams sugar limit, so I felt sure one spoonful of oreo pieces would be ok.  but mostly i stick to fruit for a topping (and make sure it's just fruit, no added sugar).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

65rosesmom
on 6/21/13 10:02 am

Yeah, I added hot fudge and peanut butter sauce last time.  I thought it would be okay...not so much.  Next time I'll stick to the fresh fruit too.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

PetHairMagnet
on 6/22/13 10:57 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

That is a LOT of sugar in a protein bar, IMO. I am buying bars with less than 3g of sugar in them.

What kind are you buying that has 15g in one bar?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

65rosesmom
on 6/22/13 11:04 pm

I have tried a variety of brands approved by my center.   I can't handle the kinds with sugar alcohols and the ones with only 3g I've found have sugar alcohols or maltitol in them and it makes me feel awful.   I usually buy balance bars that have about 12g of sugar in them and do fine with that.  Even at 10+ months out, I can't finish a whole one.  

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012

Brenda S.
on 6/21/13 10:11 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

Thanks everyone.  I think I'll play it safe and let my kids have these.  I'll make sure the next ones I pick up say "no sugar added".  I LOVE coconut stuff, so that is what I was after.  I looked at total sugar, but I didn't notice in the store that it has added sugar.  :(  Bummer!

poet_kelly
on 6/21/13 10:27 am - OH

You could try just half of one.

Most Active