drinking too much??

Katie B.
on 6/24/13 11:46 am
So I've been reading a bunch of posts about people only drinking/eating 3 tablespoons of their food at each meal during the 1st week post-op. Then they feel stuffed. I am able drink an 8oz. shake in about an hour or so and feel fine. Is my pouch too big?
Justcallmesuz
on 6/24/13 11:48 am
RNY on 05/08/13

Everyone is different. I was able to get my hakes down in about 30 minutes.

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

poet_kelly
on 6/24/13 11:50 am - OH

Nope.  Your pouch is just fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bibo
on 6/24/13 12:05 pm

I can drink more shake at one time than I can eat of food at one time.

aliceindietland
on 6/24/13 12:39 pm
RNY on 06/11/13

One hour was exactly how much time my surgeon told me an 8oz shake should take - I did 2oz every 15 minutes that first week.

It only took about a week for me to be able to drink (water) pretty much normally again though.  That was a relief.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

dahoodman
on 6/24/13 1:01 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

The water/drink is not staying in your stomach very long at all. I cannot gulp water like I used to be able to do, but I can still drink a crapload of it if I taken many small gulps. I can probably drink a gallon in an hour if I tried. I know everyone is different but really that liquid leaves your stomach super fast. Take a really big drink one time and feel that pain and then see how quickly it goes away. No I don't mean literally do it right now, but if you do it (by mistake) you will see what I mean. Once you start taking bigger drinks and getting comfortable with your new stomach (I hate the word pouch, makes it sound like a chipmunk or kangaroo or something) you will likely take too big of a drink at times and you'll know it's not that big of a deal.

I was drinking well over 8oz in an hour the first day I got home from the hospital. I was all ready with 1oz shot glasses and all kinds of stuff to make sure I got my 8 in per hour. I know that for some those are great tools, but for me it lasted about an hour when I figured out I didn't need it. I just poured 64oz of water into a jug and made sure that by the end of the day I was done with that and adding more. You're stomach is fine.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

KimKinVA
on 6/24/13 1:05 pm
RNY on 11/13/12 with

I don't think you're drinking too much. Within my first week postop, I was able to drink an 8 ounce shake in 10-15 minutes.

Leaky84
on 6/24/13 1:20 pm - Canada

I had the same worries at first. I thought surgery hadn't even worked. I was able to drink and eat my food pretty normally for the most part and I had surgery April 22nd 2013 and I'm down around 46lbs. I've never had an issue with drinking any type of liquid, sugar free of course ;)

I wouldn't worry at all. I stressed about the same thing for no reason.

good luck!

Kahla L.
on 6/25/13 11:08 am
RNY on 06/19/13

I've been having the same thoughts!!! In fact, I was worried maybe surgery didn't work!  So glad you asked. :o)

HW/SW/CW: 312/295/212 (RNY 6/19/13)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 154 views