Hummus receipes, looking for a mexican flavor hummus if possible

grmadeb01
on 7/3/13 1:17 pm - FL

ok who makes Hummus? my mom use to work at a health food store snack bar, and they had a mexican favored type of Hummus and it was very good.....just dont know how to make hummus at all.....so any of you out there have a easy and tasty hummus receipe?  any mexican favored ones??

thanks , plan to make friday for all day school thing  on saturday..

debby

Jilly Bean
on 7/3/13 2:49 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Sabra and Trader Joe makes wonderful hummus. Sabra makes some spicy that is sold at Target. 

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/13 2:57 pm

I second the Trader Joe's recommendation. They make a cilantro jalapeno hummus that is absolutely scrumptious! In fact,  I had some for dinner tonight.  Here's a link to their website.

http://traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id= 576

-D.

Ladyintheloop
on 7/3/13 4:23 pm - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Hummus is so easy to make and super cheap.  I refuse to buy it now that I know how to make it.  The base is simple and then you just add whatever you want to make it Mexican.

Hummus

1 can of chickpeas (reserve the liquid)

2 tbsp of Tahini (sesame seed paste)

olive oil (optional - I prefer to skip the calories)

salt

lemon juice (squeeze of half a lemon - also optional)

I like to make mine Mexican as well by adding jalapeno and cumin.  Throw it all in a blender with about half of the reserved liquid from the chickpeas.  Use the liquid according to how thick or thin you like your hummus.

Sometimes, I throw in roasted red peppers (jarred).  I even swap out the chickpeas and make it with black beans.  Super yummy!!

Caroline K.
on 7/4/13 2:23 am

I like this one from Smitten Kitchen http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/. I guess you could flavour it with cumin and jalapeno for a more Mexican-style flavour.

kelly.elizabeth
on 7/4/13 10:15 pm - KY

Sabra makes an awesome roasted red pepper hummus!