Going back to work

CubanQueen
on 7/3/13 12:43 am - FL
RNY on 06/18/13
Well after a few weeks of recovery I go back to work on Monday and I'm praying it all goes well. One of my biggest anxieties is all the questions of the surgery and how am I doing. I've only told 2ppl at work but considering I've almost lost 20lbs since my surgery I feel like captain obvious! Lol Then with eating such small meals & drinking shakes I feel have to tell ppl because it will be so obvious. I don't know, what to say. I don't feel like I have to say something but other choices do I have? The other thing I'm gonna miss is my cat naps .
poet_kelly
on 7/3/13 12:48 am - OH

You can say:

I had weight loss surgery.

I'm working carefully with my doctor and a registered dietician.

It's personal and I'd rather not discuss it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eva1230
on 7/3/13 12:52 am
I work in a nursing facility and pretty much everyone knew that I worked directly with. They have been super supportive some even joining in and doing the preop diet with me and even following my high protein low sugar lifestyle.

I would get questions like...what can I eat, how much can I eat, do I get hungry, and every weekend when I work I get how much have you lost so far.

It doesn't bother me, but everyone is different.
Laura in Texas
on 7/3/13 12:53 am

Not sure what your starting weight was, but for many of us with high starting weights 20 pounds is not obvious. You may get more questions about why you were out for an extended period of time. Share if you want to or like Kelly said, tell them it's personal and you'd rather not discuss it. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AlohaJen
on 7/3/13 2:33 am
RNY on 09/05/12

I work for a large pharmaceutical company in the billing dept and it is mostly women!  I only told my 2 best friends and my immediate supervisor what I was actually having done. I had been losing weight before the surgery which my surgeon and ins company required, so most people were already aware that I must be dieting. When I got back, some asked why I was out and I would just reply, "Female Stuff" and that was usually enough to stop the questions... now that I am 9 months out, I have told more people, I am not ashamed of what I had done, quite the opposite, but it was none of their business.   Plus I have found that only negative comments I have ever heard about are from "heavy" people, so I just figure they are jealous.  I actually can't believe how much support and positive comments I have gotten. I weighed 258 the day of my surgery and now I weigh 197, a lady yesterday even greeted me with , "Hello Skinny"... I just laughed and kept walking....  It was good for me to get back to a normal life at my job, I took the full 6 weeks off and was so glad that I did, just for the fatigue. GOOD LUCK !!  Enjoy the compliments!!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

CubanQueen
on 7/3/13 3:29 am - FL
RNY on 06/18/13
I appreciate everyone's input. I work in a small office of 7 ppl that talk s**t about everyone & on top of that I'm the youngest but the most hard working one so I already hear not supportive comments as it is. I guess I'll take in stride but its hard because I wish I did work in an environment where I could just be respected for my work. Thanks again everyone and I guess I'll see how it goes!

Have a great holiday weekend!!!
agraydolfin1
on 7/3/13 3:58 am - TX

I would be carful at first. I had my surgery and was out three weeks. When I was back for two weeks i requested a week to help my daughter with her baby, while she had her sleeve done. Request denide, I went to my supervisor for explanation. She advised me i should have planed this better. I tried to explane to her, this wasnt a boob job or a trip to the beach, that it was medicaly nessaccary . She gave me the day of surgery off, and that was it. I was so upset i went with it and started applying for new jobs, within two months i have a new position, and only a few know i had surgery. My nut said i needed to get back to society, and only let me stay out the three weeks. My pcp probably would have worked with me

EdwinP
on 7/3/13 9:15 am
RNY on 05/07/13

You have the better feel of your environment to determine what they can handle and not handle. Also, would they be so bold to ask for details? If so, just tell them it's a personal matter.

I told my boss and a few colleagues before I left. I felt comfortable telling them because I knew they would be supportive. It doesn't sound like you would have similar support but that they would only give you grief based on what you're writing.

PaintingJoy
on 7/3/13 11:13 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

I chose to only tell one co-worker (sworn to silence) since she had Sleeve 1 month ahead of me having RNY.  I only told boss that I needed to have surgery and would be out for 2-3 weeks.  No questions asked.  I've been back to work for 3 weeks now.  Nobody knows ~ or asks ~ they do notice that I'm walking on breaks and a couple of people have commented that I am "looking good."  Nobody knows I've lost 30 pounds ~ I can tell that they can't quite figure it out.

I take my lunch, and don't discuss my food plans other than to say I'm doing high protein, lower carbs (which is true!)  That I'm changing my lifestyle to be healthier.  So far it has worked like a charm!

You'll figure it out.  Remember, you aren't obligated to tell anybody anything about your personal health/business.  It's really up to you how much you choose to share.  You already probably know who will be supportive.

Yes, I miss my naps, too :)  It took 6 weeks for me to have my energy level back to normal.  And I'm still tired in the evenings,  still, wouldn't change a thing!

CubanQueen
on 7/3/13 11:44 am - FL
RNY on 06/18/13
Thanks!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?