How to Mentally Prepare for Surgery

Jessica H.
on 7/10/13 1:19 pm - North Royalton, OH
RNY on 08/05/13
Don't get me wrong- I am no expert. But I've been kind of terrified about getting surgery so I've been trying to find techniques to prepare.

I figure it may be beneficial to other pre-op patients so I'm sharing with you.

I wrote a blog post here - http://www.thebariatricdiva.com/1/post/2013/07/how-to-mentally-prepare-for-surgery.html.

Let me know if you have any suggestions that aren't brought up in the post, or if there is anything else that has helped you prepare.

Thanks!!!

Jessica

http://www.thebariatricdiva.com 

Tanya64
on 7/10/13 1:27 pm
VSG on 07/25/13

Jessica

I am just like you - I am terrified, but I'm also terrified if I don't have this surgery! After today's visit with my physician I am really feeling anxious because he ran me through the room in under 5 minutes like I was a  herd of cattle.  I hope I am doing the right thing......

Tanya

Lisa82
on 7/10/13 2:18 pm

Jessica,

I just finished reading your blog post about preparing for surgery. Awesome ideas!! My surgery was scheduled for the 17th of July but I had to cancel, however I did reschedule for August 5. I am terrified (no that was not the reason for cancelation.). I have never had surgery. Well I had my tonsils removed when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Anyway, I am terrified! I keep bouncing back and forth between elation and scared to death. Reading your post has helped. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Lisa

lynnc99
on 7/10/13 11:58 pm

Your blog covered some excellent points!

I was careful, though, about sharing my surgery decision with other people. I didn't want to hear the story of "my cousin's neighbor's sister in law's friend died on the table." I also believed that the decision was a very private one, between my doctors and me, and not something to be broadcast across the land. My personal decision, and not all will agree with that, but it worked for me.

Above all, having a doctor you believe in is crucial. This is a lifelong partnership even if your doctor moves out of state (as mine did) - I still view her as "my" doc. 

Journaling was vital to my process, and as my 4th anniversary rapidly approaches, I plan to look back on my weight loss journal for some perspective. I wrote my thoughts and feelings down, which helped me process them more fully. As for fear, I found that I was not as terrified by the thought of surgery as I was by the thought that my insurance company would deny coverage. THEN what would I do? I was truly at the end of my rope. 

And for those who face those fears now....let me say that 4 years out, many people in my life do not even know I was ever morbidly obese. Life has moved forward and I have a new job and live in a new state. When I mention that "I lost a lot of weight a few years back," no one knows exactly what I mean by that. I keep my old drivers license in my wallet, as a reminder to myself of where I have been and how far I have come. I keep two pairs of my "before" pants in the closet. I know that regain can happen and need to stay vigilant; those old habits and pounds are lurking right around the corner, waiting for me. I do have treats from time to time, even though I swore I would "never again" eat refined sugar or carbs. But I am careful, and fortunate in that my body doesn't react well to high sugar foods. 

You are embarking on a tremendous journey. It has its ups and downs for sure. Aha moments await you! And so do some startling reality checks. Buckle up and prepare for a remarkable ride!

Jessica H.
on 7/11/13 11:38 pm - North Royalton, OH
RNY on 08/05/13

Thanks for the feedback! 

Yes, I’m being very careful who I share my decision to have surgery with.  I just know we need support from a few people.  I personally don’t know how I could do it without my mom and grandma there with me and helping me after.  I also have a few friends that I know support me no matter what so they know of my decision and will be there for me no matter what. 

I am definitely ready for my journey!  I know I have a lot to learn, but I’m committed and confident in my decision.  August 5th will be the day my life changes forever!

Jessica

http://www.thebariatricdiva.com 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics