OK another question.....Hair Loss

meeshelle
on 7/8/13 10:24 am
RNY on 03/04/13

over last two weeks i noticed an increase in hair around the shower drain and now when i style it with products i notice lots of hair coming out and sticking to my hands UGHH..i was prepared incase this happened but now what can i do to stop or slow it down. I emailed one of my nurses today she said i am doing the right things, ie getting in fluids and protein and I have added in taking Biotin vitamin...one of their other patients was suggested prenatal vitamins for this and that was a week ago. Does anyone know if this truly helps or have any other ideas?

Thanks muchsmiley   

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

poet_kelly
on 7/8/13 10:27 am - OH

Prenatal vitamins will only help if the brand you take has something your current multi doesn't AND if you are deficient in that something and that's what is causing your hair loss.  At this point, what you are experiencing is most likely telogen effluvium, which is a common effect of general anesthesia.  No vitamins will prevent it.  It will go away in time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

phyl9
on 7/8/13 10:31 am

I don't think prenatal vitamins would be of benefit- all excess amounts of water-soluble vitamins (except A,D,E,K- which are fat soluble) are just flushed away in your system.

I did try biotin for 6 months before surgery- and I didn't notice any change in hair growth. I do think keeping up on your protein is important- and the hair loss will come & go- just like the weight loss & plateaus.

I am 3 months out- and I seem to go through periods of more hair loss- then just the usual amt. And I notice it more right up front by my part- darn it!  I try to part in a different spot- and hair spray the comb-over- and ignore it.  I think this is a temporary stage in the the whole weight loss process.

PS- That's a perfect emoticom! Love the 'fro !     

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views