How do you eat an elephant?

grace H.
on 7/15/13 6:06 am - Grove City, OH
When I started my journey in October of 2010 I tipped the scale at 427 pounds. I wasn't even 20 yet. I went to consult a bariatric surgeon who told me I could lose at least 220 pounds. I was devastated. 'There is no way!' I thought. So I made a goal for myself of 200 pounds. I still didn't think I could do it. 200 pounds? That was a whole good sized man! I thought 150, tops. I was so overwhelmed. I can remember crying to my mom, telling her I was always doomed to be fat and nothing would help me...I surely couldn't do something so big on my own. I was, in fact, only one person. Then my mother said to me,
"How do you eat an elephant?" I was confused for a minute...
'Is she joking?' I wondered. I looked at her, baffled, and said "Well, the only logical answer is one bite at a time."
"Exactly!" She responded.

Here I am, 2 years later and 200 pounds down. I look back at that moment often, and it kind of chokes me up. I never had the faith in myself that my mother did. Yet, I did it. And I have never been so proud of anything or anybody in my life. I know I still have a ways to go. I would like to lose another 90...but I now know that I have the strength and ability to do it.

We all get discouraged sometimes and want to stop. But think of how many bites you have already taken out of that elephant! Think of the ant trying to move the rubber tree plant!!!

God bless you all

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-4

Ne te quaesiveris extra
do not seek outside yourself

GSFan
on 7/15/13 6:51 am
Congratulations on your loss! Thanks for a very inspirational post.
Missy A.
on 7/15/13 11:37 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Does GSFan = George Strait Fan? Just curious...lol

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

GSFan
on 7/15/13 12:05 pm
Aww man...you're on to me!
Dar_Mab
on 7/15/13 8:43 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

You have done an amazing job!   Congrats!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Karen1961
on 7/15/13 12:49 pm - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Wow!  You are amazing!  

lindiesisson
on 7/15/13 1:37 pm - IN
Thank you for sharing that. I will remember that any time I feel frustrated. Congratulations
SoCaPinkLady
on 7/15/13 3:43 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Great post and congratulations on your success!!!!

Lori                               

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?