Vitamin B12 level???

quiltpainter
on 7/26/13 10:15 am - CT

This is a follow-up question to a discussion that was going on inside another post.  If you have your lab work, I was wondering what you B12 levels are and if you are taking B12 supplements.

I take Opurity multivitamin with no additional B12. At 3 months out my B12 lab was 394 at 6 months it was 508.  Normal is listed as 200-850.   I am curious to know what levels other WLS members have.  

kinny09
on 7/26/13 10:30 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Under 400 is considered low-normal. If you're at all symptomatic it's especially important. Reference ranges vary between labs too, our labs range is 380-850. After RNY you cannot absorb B-12 in regular pill form at all, so under ASMBS guidelines B-12 has to be taken sublingually (melted under the tongue, this is an over the counter preparation) or via injection once a month or so. I realize your levels have risen, but irregardless of this it is still important to follow guidelines regarding supplements, and the ASMBS is the leading authority on weight loss surgery guidelines...Down the road not taking one of the necessary supplements could have adverse affects on your health.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

quiltpainter
on 7/26/13 10:41 am - CT

This is why this site is so valuable. If it weren't for Kelly and Lora commenting on my previous post I would have thought everything was okay. I may be fine now, but if my levels drop down the road when I am only being tested once a year, it may have caused problems. 

poet_kelly
on 7/26/13 11:17 am - OH

It's important to understand that the reference range on the lab report is NOT the range needed for good health.  The way they come up with the reference range used in the US is that they test a number of "apparently healthy" volunteers, usually employees of the lab, and then figure up an average and that is the reference range.  It is NOT based on any research that shows the level you actually need to be healthy.

I had labs done last month.  My B12 level was 1860.  I had been taking B12 injections, 1000 mcg subcutaneously once  week for the past year.  Based on that level, my PCP and I agreed I could cut back to every other week for three months, then get my level checked again, because while it is not harmful for it to be that high, it doesn't need to be that high, either.  I want my level to be around 1000, ideally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

The Salty Hag
on 7/26/13 10:03 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I just got my lab results back from my PCP. My B12 level was 1999. My doctor sent me a little note with my labs saying " All great!!"  i guess my level is okay, I hope. ( I have been taking 5,000 mcg a day since we can't absorb the B12 in our daily multi's. I'm wondering if I should cut back. )  As of Monday, I'll be 10 weeks out. 

poet_kelly
on 7/26/13 10:14 pm - OH

1999 is all right but you don't need it to be that high.  I would cut back a bit because why take more than  you need?  I'd cut back to taking 5,000 mcg every other day or even every third day.   You'll save money since the bottle will last longer and have less vitamins to take on some days.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

The Salty Hag
on 7/26/13 10:26 pm
RNY on 05/20/13
Thanks Kelly! My husband was astounded by that number...haha.
Most Active
Recent Topics