Roux-en-Y scheduled for August 6

Heather3Lynn
on 7/29/13 4:03 am - MD
RNY on 08/06/13

Hello,

I am new here. At my pre-surgical workshop, the dietician gave me this website to use as a source of support. I have really learned a lot from reading the messages and responses. I am starting to get a little scared, and maybe am a little bit trying to talk myself out of surgery. Right now I am on the liver shrinking diet, and I am only drinking protein shakes with a caloric intake of between 640 and 800 calories per day. So I am finding myself thinking that if I can stick with that diet, why not just skip the surgery and live on shakes for a year or so. Of course, I know from experience, that I would probably not be able to stay on this diet that long without intervention, but that doesn't stop me from being nervous.

I have a pretty decent support system, but my mother tends to imagine and then share the worst-case scenario for EVERYTHING, so every time I talk to her she has been talking about how devastating it would be for my children if I don't survive the surgery. Thanks, Mom. That's exactly what I want to think about. I know in my head that this is the best time for me to go ahead with the surgery, as I have not yet developed any weight-related health problems, but I am finding that she has gotten into my head, and my anxiety level is rising. I am not sleeping well at all, and I have been quite distracted at work. I am seeing a counselor, hoping to head off any depression or anxiety that may accompany the surgery, so I do have support other than my mom, but I am still worried that I am not prepared enough. Did anyone else get "cold feet" as their surgery date approached?

Thank you,

Heather

ebtiger24
on 7/29/13 4:17 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

When facing major surgery, everyone gets nervous.  There are risks involved with this and any other surgery.  When you weigh the risk of surgery compared to the risk of not having it, where do you come out on that?  That is the bottom line in choosing this.  For me the risk of living like I was living and living the way I was going to have to live if I did not get healthier outweighed the minuscule risk of something bad happening.  

That's my $0.02 for what it's worth. It's your body and life, and only you can determine what is best for you.  

r0bynn
on 7/29/13 4:26 am - AR
RNY on 08/05/13
Your mother means well but she needs to stop and realize that if you don't have this surgery you can also leave your children behind. Maybe you should tell her to read the facts so she's not in the dark. I think this would be great for you! Imagine how much more you can do without all that weight! How you will feel! Showing your children a healthy lifestyle. Looking amazing in a new wardrobe. The BEST time to have the surgery is NOW. Before you get any health problems from your weight. That's what I'm doing! I have mine the day before you and I'm SO excited to start living! She really needs to stop filling your head. And stop listening! This is for a new healthy you! Go for it!!
jazzycatz
on 7/29/13 4:36 am - Joppa, MD

Hi and Welcome! This site has been so helpful to me throughout my journey. I hope you stick around.

Almost everyone gets cold feet when they are getting close to surgery. Just keep reminding yourself of why you are doing this. And what you will gain from using your tool successfully going forward.

I was so glad to hear you were seeing a counselor. So many of us need to do that. You are about to break up food which has probably been one of your best and worst friends for a long time. It's difficult. But also very liberating.  

Stay strong on the liver shrinking diet! Are you on it for 2 weeks? If you have just started it's pretty tough until day 3. Then the constant hunger seems to go away. It's still hard but that helps some. I had to take it one meal at a time. But I did it! And you can too!

Congratulations on your decision to have RNY.

sm14
on 7/29/13 5:43 am
Good luck, I was just called for approval and given a dos of the 14th. Made my own post before reading this and we both referenced cold feet lol! It will definitely be for the better though, no matter how scary the journey can be.
poet_kelly
on 7/29/13 6:59 am - OH

IF you could live on protein shakes for a year, you would lose a lot of weight.  I think most people would have a very hard time sticking to just shakes for a while year.

And what would you do after that year was up?  Go back to eating normally, as in, big portions?  Then you'd gain weight back.  Would you be able to stick to eating only small portions for the rest of your life?

If you can do all that, then definitely do it, don't have surgery.  But haven't you tried sticking to diets before?  Most surgeons will not operate on patients that haven't tried diets first.  I tried a lot of diets before having WLS and couldn't stick to them long enough.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/29/13 8:19 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On July 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

IF you could live on protein shakes for a year, you would lose a lot of weight.  I think most people would have a very hard time sticking to just shakes for a while year.

And what would you do after that year was up?  Go back to eating normally, as in, big portions?  Then you'd gain weight back.  Would you be able to stick to eating only small portions for the rest of your life?

If you can do all that, then definitely do it, don't have surgery.  But haven't you tried sticking to diets before?  Most surgeons will not operate on patients that haven't tried diets first.  I tried a lot of diets before having WLS and couldn't stick to them long enough.

Ditto! Kelly said much of what I was thinking!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

j_nmom
on 7/29/13 7:13 am - Canada
I have two young sons. My biggest fear has always been to leave them. As much as I was scared of dying during surgery, I was also terrified of having something horrible happen while they were with me, for example a heart attack and then witnessing it, as morbid as that sounds. I had my surgery on July 4th and as awful as the first few days and week were, it's getting better!
Not sure if you believe in God, but sometimes, you just have to put yourself in the hands of the professionals, i.e. doctors, nurses, etc. and have faith in God.
Ultimately, you are doing this for your kids too! Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views