Question about Calcium Citrate

TopherCarter
on 8/6/13 8:46 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Howdy, everyone!

If there are any vitamin experts out there:

I'm having my surgery in 15 days (woohoo!), so of course, in the meantime, I've been trying to pick up everything that I need.

I only had to see my nutritionist once, and she gave me a list of the vitamins I'd likely need...one of them was calcium citrate.  She mentioned then, 3 months ago, to make sure I was getting citrate, not caltrate.  But I don't remember her giving an explanation as to why, or what the difference is.  I ordered what I thought was liquid calcium citrate, and when I got it in the mail today, it was calcium MAGNESIUM citrate.  I guess what I'm curious about it, what is the difference between the three of these (citrate, caltrate and magnesium citrate)? In doing internet research, it seems like they all do about the same thing...and since I ordered 2 bottles of liquid calcium magnesium citrate, do you think that will get the job done?

Also, my mother, who has had the same surgery, only 10 years ago, said that she was only told to take regular calcium...I know every doctor is different...I was just curious what you guys thought.

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 9:12 am - OH

Caltrate is a brand name of calcium.  Like Oreos is a brand name of cookies.

The type of calcium in Caltrate is calcium carbonate.  After RNY, you will not have enough stomach acid to break down calcium carbonate for absorption.  The same is true for another type of calcium, tricalcium phosphate.

We need calcium citrate because you do not need much stomach acid in order to absorb it.

I don't know anything about calcium magnesium citrate.  What does it list on the label as ingredients?  I'm wondering if it contains calcium citrate AND magnesium citrate (magnesium citrate is one type of magnesium, as is magnesium oxide).  What brand is it that you got?  There is really no point in taking it if it's something we can't absorb.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TopherCarter
on 8/6/13 9:20 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Thank you for the info, poet_kelly!

I pulled the bottle out...it says, with every 2 tsp, that you get:

1g sugar, 267iu vitamin d-3, 400 mg calcium (as calcium citrate), 200 mg magnesium (magnesium citrate).

The brand is "Life Time, milk and gluten free, Natural Lemon Custard Flavor.

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 9:23 am - OH

OK, that will be fine.  Now, we need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate a day (according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery), and we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so you'll need to take two teaspoons four or five times a day (at least two hours between doses).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TopherCarter
on 8/6/13 9:26 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

I think, to be safe, I'll go ahead and order the bariatric advantage...but it's nice to know these may do the job if I need them at some point. LOL

Thank you so much for your input! :D

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 9:27 am - OH

They will do the job.  Calcium citrate is calcium citrate.  Doesn't matter which brand, as long as it's citrate.

TopherCarter
on 8/6/13 9:31 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Right.  Thanks.

I just meant get the 'non-magnesium' ladled ones, but to have these, too, on standby.

Thanks again, poet_kelly!

saterry
on 8/6/13 9:18 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

We use liquid Mag Citrate as a colon prep before a colonoscopy or for constipation. Might want to get pharmacist or MD opinion on taking that one !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

TopherCarter
on 8/6/13 9:22 am - Owens Cross Rds, AL
RNY on 08/21/13

Bahaha! Yea, I'll definitely get a second opinion.  I'm gonna get enough colon prepping the day before surgery! :D

poet_kelly
on 8/6/13 9:24 am - OH

It doesn't contain that much magnesium.  Shouldn't cause an issue.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views