Struggling with drinking

Dangerkitty
on 8/11/13 2:43 am - VA

I know I'm not supposed to drink with meals......but I get so thirsty! I can't wait an hour after eating.. My mouth is dry and I'm thirsting to death! (Ok, that's a little dramatic but you know what I mean).  Did this come natural for you guys or was not drinking with meals something you had to learn?  I don't want to ruin my chances because of water!!!! Help!

Don 1962
on 8/11/13 2:56 am

Back in the day if I had to I would use both hands.  No sense in wasting perfectly good distilled or malted beverages due not having a good grip.

It did take some getting used to not drinking with meals.  Had to "practice" some before surgery.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Laccygurl
on 8/11/13 3:21 am - Paso Robles, CA
Im with Don, it took some work befor and after. But its now like I have never drank with meals. It does get better. Wile wating that hour do something elce, clean house, read. That is what I do.

Laurie

JaneJetson60
on 8/11/13 3:37 am, edited 8/11/13 3:38 am
RNY on 05/07/12

This just goes to show how different every surgeon's protocol is.  My surgeon found though years of patients becoming dehydrated, waiting a half hour before and and an hour or more after a meal did more harm than good.  Most people would have to drink around the clock.  My surgeon says drink up until you eat, and a 20 minute wait after.  I know this isn't going to do you a darn bit of good what I get to do but what ever you do, you have to break the cycle of drinking and eating.  It will get better and become second nature.  Talk to your surgeon again.  I don't have faith in NUTS only registered dieticians because NUTS are not required anything and give out the screwiest and sometimes dangerous advice.  Many have good luck with their NUTS so it is not all of them. 

Again, there are many habits you are going to have to break, is this is just one of many.  Best of luck..  Jane

poet_kelly
on 8/11/13 3:49 am - OH

Try drinking a lot before you eat.  There's no  reason to stop drinking more than a few minutes before you start to eat.

Eat moist food.  Really dry food will make you thirstier.

Try finishing your meal with a bite or two of something cool and refreshing, like fruit or yogurt or jello.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LuckiGins
on 8/11/13 7:55 am
RNY on 07/09/13

If I get too thirsty after my meal, I will eat a sugar free popsicle.. and that usually does the trick... but during a meal, if you're getting thirsty, maybe your food is too dry? maybe you need to even juicier things?

Bibo
on 8/11/13 8:53 am

ditto on the SF popsicle....and sometimes I have a small amount of ice on hand to suck on for in between bites.It does get easier with practice to wait

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 163 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views