The incredible inedible egg.....

Dangerkitty
on 8/15/13 12:37 am - VA

So, I'm in the hospital cafeteria waiting on my surgery buddy to get her EGD thing done and decided to try a scrambled egg for the first time since surgery (3 weeks ago). It tried to kill me.   I chewed and chewed and chewed but bits of it kept sliding down my throat against my will...I feel terrible and I still have a while to wait for her. Maybe I will just curl up in the waiting room and try to sleep it off.....

I wouldn't have tried some thing new in public but it was the best choice in the whole place.  For a hospital they sure have a lot of junk in the cafeteria.......  Muffins, cookies, cakes and Danishes as far as the eye can see.... ROUGH!   Any one else struggle with eggs? I hate it cause they're a great source of protien!  Maybe there is a different way to prepare them tht is better???

The Salty Hag
on 8/15/13 12:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Hard boiled, maybe? Egg salad made with low-fat mayo? Have you tried those? I only eat eggs either scrambled or hard boiled. I don't like them poached or over easy. 

Your title is cute...it made me smile, and I definitely needed one this morning. 

diane48
on 8/15/13 1:07 am
RNY on 05/07/13

I know what you are saying.  After working in a hospital and eating in their cafeteria for almost 40 years I agree with you.  Hospitals do have a lot of junk food!  I' m sure their dry, pasteurized eggs didn't help.  Don' t count out eggs just because of hospital eggs.  That early out I had to have things very moist.  I used a lot of plain yogurt , ketchup, and sauces to help make things moister.  I doubt that even ketchup would have helped those dry eggs!  Sorry you had such a hard time.  

pjsmith
on 8/15/13 2:22 am - Canada

I remember my first try at scrambled eggs wasn't the best, but then I remembered something I had read heard or something and I add about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese to the egg along with some milk and any seasonings I feel like having.  The cottage cheese seems to make it much moister and easier to eat.  I can't eat an entire egg, but with the cottage cheese the protein is there.

kinny09
on 8/15/13 2:46 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13
I second this. I do low fat goat cheese or fat free cheddar, makes the egg so moist and really delicious. Add some mushrooms and/or onion, play around with it, it will get better soon!

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Miss Liss
on 8/15/13 2:58 am

Eggs were my enemy for the first 6 months or so after surgery.  Then, all of the sudden I could eat them.  I am almost 10 years out now and eat eggs every morning for breakfast.  So, don't give up on them.  Just wait a couple of weeks and try them again. Good luck. 

Larry Wassmann
on 8/15/13 3:39 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

Try Egg beaters. To this day I barf on real eggs but no problem with Egg beaters. Have them most mornings.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

surfmind
on 8/15/13 3:46 am
Sorry but I had a nice chuckle out of this ...totally had the same experience and just the word egg still creeps me out..
PetHairMagnet
on 8/15/13 3:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13

It really is not all that great a source for the volume vs. the protein count, IMO. 

I am very, very thankful the hospital where my husband had his surgery had AMAZING food! Five or six stations with freshly prepared foods. I had an amazing soup with fresh noodles, shrimp, basil leaves and seasoning in a rich chicken broth base (prior to my surgery, now those noodles would have killed me) but my husband ate at the amazing salad bar at the hospital I used and got a super dinner the one night I was in there. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jewelsstevens
on 8/15/13 5:08 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I had trouble with scrambled. I had to "fry" mine. No grease, in a non stick skillet. I left the yellow a bit runny. I did fine with them cooked this way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 112 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views