Eating Healthy and Enjoying It! How Crazy is That?!

anniechanging
on 8/16/13 2:59 am

So I'm having lunch at my desk as I write this...the same thing I basically eat each day at work - 2 Baby Bell lite cheeses, raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas and very sweet yellow cherry tomatoes from my garden), light dip, and crackers.  I even save the crackers until the end, which I never would have done in my pre-surgery life!   I marvel each and every day how much I actually enjoy this meal, and other healthy meals that I now eat.  Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, chia and hemp seeds is wonderfully tasty!  (Is this me talking???)

I feel better  - physically, emotionally and mentally when I stay on track and eat healthy meals and focus on the protein (although it can be difficult).  Eating healthy on a regular basis, and eating in moderation is a completely new lifestyle for me.  I'm a vegetarian and my four basic food groups used to consist of: Bagels/Muffins/Bread/Donuts/Cereal, Chocolate, Pasta/Pizza, and Diet Coke. 

People and books warned me that WLS patients' tastes change, and there were lots of things that were truly repulsive during the months after surgery, but I'm glad that I'm enjoying some healthy foods.  I just wish that all the crappy foods I listed above turned me off, but they still call to me, and I sometimes answer, to my detriment.  (Why couldn't I have been blessed with Dumping Syndrome?!)   But thinking about the Size 2 jeans that I bought last week, and am wearing today (un-friggin' believable!!!!!) helps to keep me on track, most days.  SO THRILLED AT HOW THIS SURGERY HAS CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER!!!!!  Yes, I know that I'm in my honeymoon phase now, and it's still relatively easy.  Thank you to all the supportive people on this site.  I just gotta start exercising!!

I had my surgery last November.  HW = 230. SW = 228. GWs = 150 / 138 / 128.  CW = 123 !!!Eating

bluesfan
on 8/16/13 3:25 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

You sound so grateful for the changes you've made in your life because of the surgery.  I profess I feel the same way !  Wishing you continued success and happiness.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/16/13 3:31 am

You are rockin  it!!!!! continued success :)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

PetHairMagnet
on 8/16/13 4:18 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Beyond bread, butter and prime rib, I have not given up anything I liked before...just changed the portions and prioritizing protein above all other things. I jokingly told my surgeon I was the healthiest eating fat person he'd ever met. I started out large (nearly 12 lbs at birth) was amazingly overfed as a child (my mom used to make us MULTIPLE Belgian waffles for breakfast) and given full meals (for a regular person) as snacks.

I never learned portion control until this surgery or what calories were worth it (carb hound!) but because I was not a sweets/cookie/candy/ice cream/chips/fried food person it was harder when I wanted to lose weight when younger because every doctor I ever had, without once asking how I ate, told me to eliminate those foods and to quote more than one...the weight will just fall off. Urgh. :(

This is just a fantastic tool that I am so thankful for-every minute of every day-and I too feel better in so many ways that it encourages me to stay on track. The biggest surprise for me is enjoying working out. I was one that would go and do, but kept my eye on the clock and if I was going to walk for 30 minutes, then by God I was only going to walk 30 minutes! Now, I go further in distance and longer in time than I ever imagined I could, let alone WANT to. :)

Love your post--very motivating! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

nurl
on 8/16/13 8:14 am
RNY on 05/14/13
Congrats! Thank you for sharing your story

VintageChick
on 8/16/13 10:32 am
Love all of the above posts. I'm only 3 months out, but mentally feel great about the changes I've made. I'll confess that I had a therapist lined up because I fully expected to be an emotional dishrag from grieving food immediately post op. I'm fine, and feeling better mentally and physically than I have for a long, long time.

lap RNY 5-15-13

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 446 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?