Lactose malfunction

Dangerkitty
on 8/16/13 2:06 pm - VA

Tonight I was hungry and decided to try a little of the great grains protien cereal.  I put a splash of milk on top and ate it slowly. Wihen I was finished I felt pretty darn terrible.  (Actually still feeling pretty darn terrible)....

so, what was it?  Is the milk my problem or the carbs from the cereal? Or am I missing some hidden sugar somewhere? I certainly don't want to relive this experience again so if someone has some wisdom I'd love to hear it.

thanks!

Needanewbeginning
on 8/16/13 2:16 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Maybe it depends on how far out you are, but I am almost three months out and I personally wouldn't eat them. Too high in sugar and very very high in carbs. I might try something different? 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Dangerkitty
on 8/16/13 2:21 pm - VA

I agree. I was out at work or I wouldn't have tried it...but it had protien which beat some of the other options that were laying around....(Swiss cake rolls and Pringles) I'm just terribly suprised at how rotten I feel....I'm wondering if perhaps I'm lactose intolerant...cause every time I throw some milk to something I'm feeling this way....

Needanewbeginning
on 8/16/13 2:38 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

When was your surgery? I honestly would start to carry snacks with you when you leave the house, then you don't have to panic to find something to eat enlightened

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Dangerkitty
on 8/16/13 2:51 pm - VA

4 weeks Monday. My nut said soft cereals are ok but I'm voting no.......good word on carrying snacks. I usually do but wouldn't ya know......

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/13 4:26 pm - NY
I wish I knew..I am about a year out and had the same issue the other night For me I think it might have been the combo of the 2. I have had small amounts of milk and small amounts of cereal by themselves with no issue, but put them together and I felt like I was being punched in the gut for 2 hours.
Cherokeesage
on 8/16/13 4:48 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I was lactose intolerant prior to surgery and it is worse post op.  Many patients do develop a lactose intolerance post op.  Wait a few weeks or months and try it again.  A lot of things that bothered me the first few months post op do not bother me now.  Cereal is still a hit and miss for me.  I use Lactose free milk but early out couldn't stand the sweetness. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

bluesfan
on 8/16/13 7:41 pm - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

I'[m 5 weeks out and recently tried Quest protein bars. They have 20 grams of protein and the white chocolate raspberry bars taste fantastic.  I carry them in the glove box and in my gym bag.  Perhaps this could be an option for you while away from home.  Sorry to hear the cereal and milk made you nauseous,  Live and learn.  Good Luck !

Dangerkitty
on 8/16/13 11:09 pm - VA

Thank you, guys. It absolutely was a life lesson.  I'm just going to steer away from milk for a while....and find a better choice than the cereal for now.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics