Very surprised at the PA that I saw for my one year post-op

Missy A.
on 8/20/13 6:01 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I was really surprised when she said that since my last B12 and B test were done 2 months ago by my PCP, she didn't need any labs from me! I was like "Wait just a minute. What about the labs recommended by the ASMBS to have yearly after RNY?" She said they (the practice) doesn't need those, but feel free to get my PCP to do them! Whatever, I would rather my PCP do them anyways because it so much easier for me to get a copy from her than the surgeons office that is slow at things like that. I was just shocked at this...stil smh!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

chris_ruff
on 8/20/13 6:08 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

yeah, barring complications there's really no need to follow up with surgeon's office after a year. you can get everything done at your PCP. my surgeon was a good cut man, but his NUT was never particularly helpful. being on these boards always gave me way better information. 

--Christina
cajungirl
on 8/20/13 6:11 am

Sounds like it's time to say bye-bye to the surgeon's office and work with your PCP here on out.  You definitely need your labs checked (comprehensive labs) and track them for trends.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 8/20/13 6:19 am - OH

They don't do any labs at one year post op?  That's scary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/20/13 9:14 am
RNY on 05/13/13

No kidding! Mine does a pitifully few, but at least does them and added those I asked for. None at all!? Yikes. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Laura in Texas
on 8/20/13 6:57 am

I get them from my PCP now. It's easier getting my insurance company to pay for them as part of my annual exam. I make sure he orders the right things. I do send them to my bariatric surgeon and he is wonderful and emails me back with his thoughts/recommendations. My insurance sucks and I cannot afford to pay to see my surgeon, so this works for me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cajungirl
on 8/20/13 10:59 am
I can get my insurance to pay for mine by including them in my annual physical also. If I didn't I'd have to pay up to $1,500 before my insurance kicks in. It's crazy what they charge for labs, thank goodness for insurance.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views