"You need more calories." What the.....?! Got a question.

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/23/13 11:34 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Had my 6 week post op appt today with the surgeon and RD. They were very happy with my progress but said I need to be eating a few more calories. Also need to increase my protein. I'm averaging between 450 and 600 calories per day, and averaging 65 grams of protein. They want me to be around 700 to 800 calories and 80 grams of protein daily.  I was taken aback because I have never in my life been told to eat more. LOL! I know the reasoning behind it now and understand why, of course, but it was just a bit shocking to hear.

So if Pouchy doesn't want to be fed more than what I am feeding her, what are your suggestions? Dr prefers I get my calories and extra protein from actual food instead of shakes, but RD says it's ok to add a shake here and there to get the extra protein in. They both suggested that I maybe add a "4th meal" to my day to get that extra in, but I will be going back to work on Tuesday and with the long commute I have there is no time in my day for an extra meal. Plus, I work in a very busy office, talk constantly with patients, and sometimes it's hard to just get a bathroom break, let alone any extra time to eat or drink a shake. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have!

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

angeleigh
on 8/23/13 11:44 am, edited 8/23/13 11:45 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I personally aim for 90 grams of protein a day. And I have always done at least one shake a day. Its my morning meal. My pouch doesnt handle food very well before 10 am.

I also do cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese. around 7-8 pm I tend to have another meal, most nights its pretty simple, like a cheese stick and 1 hard boiled egg.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Lunyknight
on 8/23/13 11:51 am - corona, CA

I have a long commute too. I drink my breakfast on the way there, eat two snacks at work (cottage cheese and greek yogurt), and I eat a protein bar (Pure Protein - the one without crazy sugar alcohols in it) on the way home. Then I eat dinner.  I've been around 850 calories. While I am afraid that is too many, I am told it's okay.

Keep plugging away and do what you can!

~Lysa

RNY July 9, 2013

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/13 11:57 am
Long commute = at least 2 drinks - I.e. protein shakes -one on a way to work- one on a way back.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 8/23/13 12:09 pm - OH

I think a protein shake is the easiest way to get a bit more in.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/23/13 12:46 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Thanks, all of you. You make it sound pretty simple and I'm wondering why I didn't think of these ideas. lol I guess I was just over thinking it and worried about fitting more in. The commute drinks are really a great idea.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

Mo Diggity
on 8/23/13 1:21 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I got the same advice 2 days ago from doc at my 6 week appt, I need to up my calories (I'm also getting between 450-650). So strange having someone tell you to eat more right ?!! hahahahaa

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/23/13 3:25 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Yes! Goes against everything I've been told all my life. kiss