Are all sugars created equal?

Jen75
on 9/9/13 12:07 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
Today at the grocery store I really wanted to buy some orange juice, but when I read the labels the one with the least amount of sugar still had 22gms of it per 8fl oz. I know fruits in themselves are high in sugar...my question is, is it a sugar that is different in a way that won't give us dumping syndrome... Or will we forever have to avoid fruits too.
Also, I noticed some things that say sugar free on them have sugar alcohol. Do we have any issues with that?

Sherrie P.
on 9/9/13 1:03 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

No, they are not all created equal. Some people dump on some of them, none of them or all of them.

Personally fructose from fruit does not bother me at all so I can drink OJ and eat fruit.

Sugar - sucrose - bothers me.

Lactose, from milk does not bother me.

The only way to know is to experiment (if you think it is worth it).

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Jen75
on 9/9/13 9:52 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
How much fruit sugar do you have in a sitting? I am really nervous to try it... I haven't had dumping syndrome yet and my plan is to never have it. I am wondering how many grams of sugar from fruit is ok then.
jamienichols22
on 9/9/13 1:06 pm - MI

My dietitian said that natural sugars are different then added sugar, she said that I could have orange juice and it shouldn't bother me but have to have the real stuff not the imitaion. 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Jen75
on 9/9/13 9:56 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
Did your nut say how much natural sugar is oka? I am assuming if you have too much natural sugar that dumping will still occur. Unfortunately for me, I only saw a nut before my surgery for my clearance. I wish I could see one post op for all the questions I have.
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/13 5:57 pm

As when i was under dieting and weight loss, my weight loss surgeon always avoided me to have less of sugar or else sugar free products.

Its actually different, they have different levels of sugar level in every product.

grmadeb01
on 9/10/13 1:26 am - FL

have you ever made fresh squeezed orange juice or lemonaid? it takes awhole lot of oranges to make just a cup of orange juice, more than what you can eat at one sitting, so eat an orange instead of drinking the juice,, and you will also get some of the fiber from the orange itself and not in the juice.i try to eat as close to raw as possible, i use real unprocessed raw sugar in my recipes, and honey and molassis when i bake

i pretty much only eat fresh fruit, hardly ever canned, i use canned pineapple in receipes, but i dont really eat the canned pineapple, i have like 8 pineapple plants growing in pots in my back yard, they make fruits every other year, they are very small, but they are oh so sweet. we cut the tops off the ones we cut and root it and then put it in a pot, takes a few years for them to make fruits, but once they do, they make one every other year.

you just have to try a fruit at home and when you have time to eat it slow and see if you will have any issues. take it slow and small, i would start with the real fruit first and hold off on the juices until you know how you react with the fruit.

good luck on your journey

debby

Jen75
on 9/10/13 1:47 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
I was wondering about orange juice because I was thinking about mixing it with my vanilla protein powder to make like an orange dreamcycle shake. I am trying to like protein shakes somehow. Right now I can't stand them at all.
chulbert
on 9/10/13 2:38 am, edited 9/10/13 2:38 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

The chance of dumping on whole fruit is virtually nonexistent.  Fruit juices - all the sugar, none of the fiber - are a concentrated source of calories, do not help you feel full, and may cause you to dump.

Eat an orange.

A good rule of thumb is this: if it's whole and grew from the ground then you absolutely should include it in your diet.

Most Active
Recent Topics