Reactive Hypogycemia

bdaycakegirl
on 9/19/13 5:36 am

Does anyone have this, and if so, how hard is it to manage? This is my biggest fear with RNY as my mom died from it because she was a type 1 diabetic and took too much insulin. :(

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 9/19/13 5:41 am - OH

I have RH.  It's not very hard to manage at all for me, and most people seem to be able to manage it fairly easily with diet.  I eat about every three hours and I try to include some protein in each meal and limit the simple carbs.  If I eat, say, a big bowl of popcorn or a bunch of crackers, my blood sugar is quite likely to drop 90 minutes to two hours later.  If I have a handful of popcorn and some cheese instead, or a few whole grain crackers with some cheese, I don't have a problem.  When my sugar does drop, sometimes it's super low (the lowest I've tested it at has been 37) and sometimes it's more like 60.  When it drops, I eat something with some carbs, preferably some sugar, and some protein, like a protein bar, and it quickly comes back up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 9/19/13 5:52 am

Do you feel it when it is dropping so that you know to eat something?

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 9/19/13 7:45 am - OH

Oh yeah.  I start feeling shaky and kind of lightheaded and like I need to eat RIGHT NOW.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 9/19/13 5:53 am

It's manageable if you eat correctly for MOST.  A carb fest will cause mine to drop so I try to keep my diet plan in check with protein and some fat if I'm going to eat a carb.  Eating every few hours is also a key part of managing RH if you experience it.

I can tell when my sugar drops, which isn't often.  I also keep peanut butter crackers at work, in my purse and in my car as I find this the quickest way to bring my sugar up (same thing I did with gestational diabetes).

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

nurl
on 9/19/13 9:44 am
RNY on 05/14/13
I have it and I eat about every three hours. It is not hard to control, but you do need to pay attention to what you are eating . I always carry a protien bar to bring my blood sugar back up. Mine drops quickly , short warning. I eat about half of a protien bar and I am good. Mine happens when I eat protien without a healthy carb. I had to remember to balance my foods properly.

Most Active
Recent Topics